Friday, June 13, 2008

I want to be like you [+] Friday E-Devotion

NOTE: Today's devotion will not be about One Prayer due to this weekend's holiday.  Please join us for our One Prayer series this Sunday and join in on the conversation at www.oneprayer.com.
 
This song has long been one of my favorites....read on:
 
Lord, I want to be just like You
'Cause he wants to be just like me
I want to be a holy example
For his innocent eyes to see
Help me be a living Bible, Lord
That my little boy can read
I want to be just like You
'Cause he wants to be like me
 
("I Want to Be Just Like You" by Phillips, Craig and Dean)
 
Do you feel the pressure and the importance, guys?  Those little eyes are looking at us to guide them.  They see what we do.  They hear what we say.  Then they do and say what they have seen.   That is tough.  That is real.
 
A living example of this is my dad.  Let's just call him "rattlesnake" (calls himself that because of his initials 'R.S.').  I love my dad.  He has been there for me through the easy and the hard times.  He has given me words to live by and some words I would rather not hear.  In the past I saw and heard things that were not the best as he grew in faith, but I have had the honor of watching my dad want to do and do what is good for his family.  It was in the early 1980's that I really saw a change in his life.  A change that took us all into a whole new standing with each other, the family, and with God.  Tough times lead to sweet times.
 
I now listen and watch a godly man who has been through life, learned so much, loved in huge amounts, and I want to be like my father.  Why?  Because I have seen God through Him.
 
My kids need that.  This is a mandate from God.  He holds us accountable for what we do and what we don't do.  That is tough.  But that is our job as dads.
 
Ephesians 6:4 (nlt) --- Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger by the way you treat them. Rather, bring them up with the discipline and instruction that comes from the Lord.
 
Our place in our kid's lives is huge.  We can hurt them by just a few words said or a few moments of our absense.  This verse reminds me that I have a responsibility, given by God, to love and guide these three children who have blessed our lives.  My calling is to give them Jesus.  They need to see an example of God in their dad.  In fact, they will know better who God is and how He loves them by the way I deal with them and the way I love them.
 
That is huge.  So, I pray, as the song says, "Lord, I want to be just like you..."
 
Dad, I love you and hate being as far away as I am.  Thank you for being a great father and my dad!  Happy Father's Day,  Michael

No comments:

interacting with the Word of God

My family is in the middle of a devotion that uses one of my favorite passages in the Bible about the Bible.   These words about the wor...