Thursday, August 14, 2008

leaders step out of the way [+] Thursday E-Devotion

"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves." ~Lao Tzu (copied from Anne Jackson's blog Flowerdust)
 
Some people just want a handout.  Others want a lift up.  But others genuinely are looking for answers.  I have found myself in the last few days quoting this verse a lot:
 
Luke 11:9 (nlt) --- "And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you.
 
And this verse is never far behind.
 
Isaiah 55:6 (nasb) --- Seek the LORD while He may be found; Call upon Him while He is near.
 
One of the biggest things I do as a leader is step out of the way.  Does that make sense?
 
I find that often hard to do.  My mind and heart says that I have some answers, not all of them.  My heart wants to help until I have no more money, no more breathe and no more ability.  But God says ... let me work.  Let others see Him.  That is really leading people.
 
My dad used to say this thing when he prayed, and I have never been able to leave it behind.  He would ask God, "may others see You (God) in our every day words and actions."
 
Leading is tough.  Leading is not for cowards.  Often leaders need to step out of the way and let people see God.  Let God work.

No comments:

happy birthday, Julie

Proverbs 18:22   NLT The man who finds a   wife   finds a treasure, and he receives   favor   from the   Lord . Yes, I have foun...