Thursday, December 11, 2008

the basics lead to greater things

As many of you know, the book of Proverbs has long been one of my favorite places.  Lets dive into Proverbs 11 for a few minutes:

2. Pride leads to disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.

3. Honesty guides good people; dishonesty destroys treacherous people.

5. The godly are directed by honesty...

8. The godly are rescued from trouble, and it falls on the wicked instead

14.  Without wise leadership, a nation falls; there is safety in having many advisers.

17. Your kindness will reward you, but your cruelty will destroy you.

19. Godly people find life...

24-25. Give freely and become more wealthy; be stingy and lose everything.  The generous will prosper; those who refresh others will themselves be refreshed.

I am so pumped up and ready to share with our folks at The Community Fellowship the 2nd sermon from our LOVE MORE ... EXPECT LESS. series, and as I prepare for that God is saying some things that I might not have looked for.

The thought, and it is a huge one, that keeps running through my brain today is this: do the basics every day!

I have heard that, read that, thought that and even had it thrown at me several times in the past couple of days.  But I have to ask, what are the basics?  Notice the Scripture above.  There are a couple answers that stick out in my head.  First, the real basic is honor and protect my relationship with God.  Second, it is basic to guard my integrity and seek to be transparent with everyone.  Those are real and good.  But they are not easy.

Being transparent hurts often, but it opens up loads of doors for God to work.  I want to touch many lives.  Here is the best way.  Be humble, be me and let others know whats really up.

I recently made a comment during a message I was preaching about my wife and I living on a real budget for the first time in our lives.  I said we are struggling to do that and committed to doing it (thanks to Joe Sangl and some friends from our church praying for and encouraging us).  You cannot imagine the comments and depth that has come from that simple point of getting honest and transparent.

Back to our relationship with God.  My relationship with God is often the first thing to be set aside when I bow to the god of being busy or trying to do too much on my own.  Now, that's honest.  I do long for God and love my relationship with Him.  In fact, the more time I spend with Him, the more success I see in what I do and how I do it (at home and at church).  That is huge.

So I challenge you as I have been challenged.  Guard your relationship with God, and seek to be transparent with everyone.  It might change your life.

Proverbs 20:7 (nlt) --- The godly walk with integrity; blessed are their children who follow them.

Mark 1:35 (nlt) --- Before daybreak the next morning, Jesus got up and went out to an isolated place to pray.

interacting with the Word of God

My family is in the middle of a devotion that uses one of my favorite passages in the Bible about the Bible.   These words about the wor...