Wednesday, April 1, 2009

experience God thru serving

What first got your attention about God?  Our stories are all different, but our stories are all real.
 
For me, church happened almost before I was born.  My family was faithful to church and knew the goodness of God in many shapes and forms.  Yet through the years I came to see God in bigger ways, in fresh and living ways being lived out by other people as they served.
 
Lots of folks we know didn't come to know Jesus when they were kids.  Those folks have come in all different ways to connect with God, but everyone had connections to people who already knew God.  What did they see and know before they asked Jesus for His saving hope?  I want to suggest that they saw Jesus in other people's actions.
 
We all experience God through serving.  It might as we serve that we connect with God.  It very well might be that as we serve others connect with God as they see us.
 
Here is a story for you (and we all have a story).  Someone was asked about Jesus in ways they really could not answer, but what they knew, they could speak of.  Listen to their response:

John 9:25 (nlt) --- "I don't know whether he is a sinner," the man replied. "But I know this: I was blind, and now I can see!"

People will experience God through serving.  So I ask you: who are you serving?  Think about it.
 
Lots of people serve self.  They are (or we are) looking out for number one which is self and what I want.  This is common in our nation and in our day.  It is common human nature to watch out for ourselves.
 
But it is common spiritual nature to look out for others first.  To shine for people to see God.  It is through serving, sharing the kindness of God that we open the doors for people to walk through to experience God.  I believe that the church ought to be the most inviting place on earth.  No, not our buildings.  Our people ought to be inviting people to experience God through serving them each and every day.
 
Philippians 2:3-5 (nlt) --- Don't be selfish; don't try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. Don't look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too. You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had.

That is one more reason that ARK's (acts of random kindness) go a long way in the day we live.  What do you think?

We are only a couple days away from SERVOLUTION.  My prayer is that people will experience God through serving!

No comments:

happy birthday, Julie

Proverbs 18:22   NLT The man who finds a   wife   finds a treasure, and he receives   favor   from the   Lord . Yes, I have foun...