Monday, May 4, 2009

Can I Lift Up Jesus?

John 12:32 (nlt) --- And when I am lifted up from the earth, I will draw everyone to myself.
 
That has been my favorite verse for several years.  It talks about the Gospel and about what quality, good life will end up doing.  But we have to ask ourselves a question: Can I lift up Jesus?  Well, of coarse I can.  In my words and actions I can lift Him up.  But I suggest there are some things that get in the way of us lifting up Jesus very high. 
 
One may be pride or arrogance or simply being selfish.  Life is not about us.  So why do we make it all about us?  Even found that there is so much of you in your words and actions that there is little from for Jesus or anyone else?
 
Another would be a time issue.  We are just too busy with all the stuff of life?  Ballgames, yards to mow, school projects, extra job ... name it and some of us are doing it, or putting more and more into our schedule which just squeezes out more and more of Jesus.
 
One more thing that might keep us from lifting up Jesus if our finances.  We have so many obligations that we cannot give or cannot serve.  In our series How to Be Rich we talked Sunday about about money often deceives us into thinking wrong.  It just happens.  But I had another thought that rocked me, it threw me a curve ball.  There are times that we have no money to lift up Jesus.  Then had to get a second job to take care of my obligations so I had less time for my family and even less for Jesus.  Do you get the point?
 
Can I lift up Jesus?  Can you lift up Jesus? 
 
We might be so weak that we cannot lift Him up.  At that point it is time to work out so we can lift Him higher.  We might be so broke that we cannot give and lift up Jesus.  At that point it is time to get on a budget and begin to live with some self discipline so that we can lift up Jesus with what we have.
 
Michael W. Smith's song Be Lifted High has hit me this weekend almost like a sledge hammer.  It asks some questions or make some suggestions that I want to leave with you.  Here are the lyrics (I've highlighted the part that has spoken to me most):
 

Michael W. Smith - Be Lifted High

 

Sin and its ways grow old, All of my heart turns to stone, And I'm left with no strength to arise, I need to be lifted high
Sin and its ways lead to pain, Left here with hurt and with shame, So no longer will I leave your side, Jesus, you'll be lifted high
You'll be lifted high, You'll be lifted high, You'll be lifted high in my life, Oh God
And I fall to my knees, So it's you that they see, Not I, Jesus, you'll be lifted high
And even now that I'm inside your house, Help me not to grow prideful again
Don't let me forsake sacrifice, Jesus you'll be lifted high
And if I'm blessed with the riches of kings, How could I ever feel that it was me
For you brought me from darkness to light, Jesus, you'll be lifted high
You'll be lifted high, You'll be lifted high, You'll be lifted high in my life, Oh God
And I fall to my knees, So it's you that they see, Not I, Jesus, you'll be lifted high…

1 comment:

lynnmosher said...

Oh, to lift up the Lord and not myself, for others to see Him in me, in all I say and do. The lyrics are awesome! Love this, Michael! May He be lifted high!

Blessings...Lynn

lead follower

I was reading an article from a pastor that was sharing his heart for his church family and impacting his community one person at a time...