Monday, April 12, 2010

generations of blessings

Proverbs 23:25 (NLT) --- So give your father and mother joy! May she who gave you birth be happy.

Ephesians 6:3 (NLT) --- If you honor your father and mother, "things will go well for you, and you will have a long life on the earth."

I sat with my family as well as my parents last night over and dinner and talked about our generations.  We have a colorful past.  Some folks who have lived in the white house, some who lived in the "other" big house (prison).  From preachers to business people, from train robbers to presidents, from some who lived long lives to others who lived very short lives.  Amazing to hear and realize the legacy and the genealogy of our family.  

Then I remembered a fact that blesses me big time.  My parents and my wife's parents have both been married for about 50 years each.  Both sets are in church and active in church.  Both are blessed and bless us often in many ways.

I want to be a blessing to my kids as my parents are a blessing to me.  And that will give us generations of blessings.

This won't happen by accident.  It will happen by our choice to live well, share often and follow God no matter the cost.  We bless others as we live lives that make a difference and are not set on what we want or on our own.  To be blessed, you have to be a blessing.  And that is one thing I want for my kids and for those who come behind me.

Proverbs 22:6 (NLT) --- Train up a child in the way he should go,Even when he is old he will not depart from it.

And that is what our parents have done.  They have trained us.  We are blessed.  Now we chose to be a blessing to our kids for a long time to come.  We wants generations of blessings.  How about you?

No comments:

lead follower

I was reading an article from a pastor that was sharing his heart for his church family and impacting his community one person at a time...