Wednesday, September 1, 2010

these kids stole my heart

I've never met these kids.  Never been around them.  My family only heard about them.  But these kids stole my heart and my entire family is praying for them by name each night.

I'm referring to the children that are supported through Children's Cup International Relief led by Dave and Jean Ohlerking.  The Ohlerkings walked into my life after I met their son, Dan, well over a year ago.  Since then Dave and Jean visited The Community Fellowship and visited our home.  Our lives have not been the same.

On August 1st of 2009 our family began having daily devotions each night.  That began with their "40 Days of Prayer with the Children" and continued this year with their "21 Days of Prayer with the Children".  It is incredible.  To hear my kids mention names of kids they have never met but have prayed for the last 3 weeks has set my heart on fire.  I've prayed for a child in Africa names Gugi each night.

Why am I talking to you about the Ohlerkings?  It is because these people and this organization is touching lives few others will.  So many of these kids have AIDS.  They have almost no hope, yet kids are meeting Jesus they learn, are fed and meet people who care for them daily.

Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you.

Then he took the children in his arms and placed his hands on their heads and blessed them.

I want you to meet Dave and Jean Ohlerking.  But what I really ask you to do is to find kids near you or far from you that you can care for.  Find children that few others seem to care about and reach them.  Maybe this is a kid at the school near you that needs a big brother or sister.  Maybe this is a neighbor kid who doesn't have a dad.  Just maybe this is a kid whose parents have written them off.  Or maybe this is a kid that lives thousands of miles away from you. But you can and we must touch these lives.

As we all must, our church is working to minister in better ways to our kids.  If we miss the children, we will miss helping many people get to know Jesus and spend eternity in heaven.

"And anyone who welcomes a little child like this on my behalf is welcoming me.

These kids stole my heart.  What kids have stolen your heart?

1 comment:

Jean Ohlerking said...

thanks, michael, for the awesome shout-out for 'cup. may God bless you and your ministry and especially your precious family.

lead follower

I was reading an article from a pastor that was sharing his heart for his church family and impacting his community one person at a time...