Thursday, March 22, 2012

it's not about what you have


His story is not unlike others I have heard in recent days.  This man talked about being well-to-do in business and in life.  Yet the economy and personal struggles led things to unravel in ways that look a bit like the story of Job, maybe not to that extremely.

He had waited for me after a meeting in town that I was attending.  Several people had expressed interest in what our church and Dream Center are doing to help hurting, hungry and homeless people.  As I finished a phone call, the man walked up, shook my hand and said thank you for what I had shared earlier.

Honestly, I was moved by his story of lost relationships and the pain from them.  I could feel the pain of losing his business and having to move back home after many years of what the world would call success.  Like I said, his story isn’t different from others I have heard.

Yet there was a peace in what he shared.  His new ventures have him barely making ends meet, but he has found joy in pouring what he has into other people’s lives.  There is still a lot he is struggling with as far as finances and faith go, but this man’s journey is on the way up because his outlook is right on.

Then Jesus turned to his disciples and said, 
“God blesses you who are poor, for the Kingdom of God is yours.  God blesses you who are hungry now, for you will be satisfied.  God blesses you who weep now,
for in due time you will laugh.  What blessings await you when people hate you and exclude you and mock you and curse you as evil because you follow the Son of Man.

It’s not about what you have.  Relationships matter more than stuff.  It’s not about the position you hold or the power you have acquired.  It is about making a difference planting yourself where you are while looking for opportunities each day. 

This man might be considered middle aged by some as he is almost a decade older than me.  I was encouraged big time by what he shared. 

Life is not about what you have.  Life is really about how you use what you have and who you honor along the way.  May we have a similar response to life as this man had come to have.

No comments:

happy birthday, Julie

Proverbs 18:22   NLT The man who finds a   wife   finds a treasure, and he receives   favor   from the   Lord . Yes, I have foun...