Friday, May 4, 2012

checking the map


I remember the day when checking the map meant opening the strangely folded paper thing that gave us directions.  The map then went to a bound long book or a spiral bound, many paged book with a double spread for each state and district or province plus a bunch more. 

We’ve now come into the age of GPS.  Our cars are equipped with built in maps or on the dash is connected with a suction cup to a small screen that can tell us almost anything.  For me and many others our GPS has been upgraded to our phone with all the details we need to get anywhere we want to go.

Yet for me getting lost is an art form, even with a map or GPS.  If I turn back to the map or to the small screen on my GSP, I will see where to go and not get lost.

Our spiritual lives are much the same way.  Without a map of sorts, we are in a load of trouble.  God knew this fact and gave us the Bible, His love letter to us, which gives us the map to keep our lives, spiritually and other wise, on the right path.

Dear friend, take my advice; it will add years to your life. I'm writing out clear directions to Wisdom Way, I'm drawing a map to Righteous Road. I don't want you ending up in blind alleys, or wasting time making wrong turns. Hold tight to good advice; don't relax your grip. Guard it well—your life is at stake! Don't take Wicked Bypass; don't so much as set foot on that road. Stay clear of it; give it a wide berth. Make a detour and be on your way…
The ways of right-living people glow with light; the longer they live, the brighter they shine.

The ways are not clear unless we use the map.  The book of Proverbs has long been a road map for me.  In the early 1990’s I began reading one chapter per day, and this has made a difference in my life.  It will make a difference in yours when you check the map and follow where it guides.

God has a plan for your life, for your family and for your success.  Believe that and live it out.  I have conversations almost every day with people who think that there is no hope for them or that God is punishing them for something in their past.  There are results for our poor choices, but God tells us that wisdom and following Him beings blessings and righteousness.

How will our kids, our families and those who watch us know the truth unless we live it out?  How will be find success unless we are often checking the map, the Bible that God gave us?

This is a great line … “right-living people glow with light; the longer they live, the brighter they shine” … I want to shine bright and will be checking the map so I will.  How about you?

No comments:

pray for your children

The beginning of the school year brings all kinds of thoughts and emotions my way.   My wife, a 1st grade teacher, told our 9th grader s...