Friday, May 11, 2012

honoring my parents


Honor your father and mother, as the LORD your God commanded you. Then you will live a long, full life in the land the LORD your God is giving you.

I want to live a long time.  Just saying. 

This past weekend was my dad’s birthday, and this Sunday is Mother’s Day.  So, I’d like to take some time today to give a shout out and share some with you about the world’s greatest mom and dad.  I truly have been blessed.

It was in the afternoon in late fall some four decades ago that I came to meet this wonderful couple.  They had been married for just over a decade already and had two sons under the age of 10.  Recently they moved from the big state of Texas to the incredible state of Oklahoma (Boomer Sooner).  Ok, that’s when I was born.  I don’t really remember that day if I am honest about it.

But I have some fond memories of my early years as my mom was so special to me and my dad begin to build a place in my heart. 

My favorites memories of my dad have to do with buying some land, a farm, about an hour from our home.  We had horses and cows.  We would mend fences, work with the tractor, build fires, go fishing and do all kinds of cool things.  It was just my dad and me as my brothers were grown and busy with their lives.  Some years later my dad was the best man at our wedding.

There are several memories that I have with my mom that run through my mind on days like this.  I remember sitting in her lap when I was very young and talking about God.  I remember going through some tough days as I was not a very good student, but she and Mrs. Elliott (now Mrs. Trisha Stafford) helped me become a much better student.  Mom spoiled me a good bit.

In the years since I can see and so appreciate the cheerleading squad known as my mom and dad.  They were there when I preached my first sermon and many sermons since.  They walked with me, even 1,000 miles away, when it was time for me to get married.  As our kids were born, my parents went the extra mile time and again to love and encourage us.

I truly am blessed.  So I want to say out loud...

Dad, happy birthday to you, and thank you for being a very important piece of my life, then and now.  I love you dearly, am proud to be your son, and am grateful to have such a faithful friend and father. 

Mom, happy mother’s day to you, and I wish I could be with you to tell you in person.  Thank you for being a solid foundation, giving encouragement, and teaching me to lean in the right directions.  You are precious to me, and I love you.  I am proud of you too and honored to be your son.

Don’t let me miss at least one word about my wife, Julie.  She is an awesome mother too.  She will get some special love this weekend from me and our kids (but don’t tell her, please).

Mom and Dad, I love and miss you so much.  Have a great weekend.  I am praying for you this morning!  I pray that I will not only honor you both and learn from your wisdom but will bless you as you have blessed me time and time again.

Sensible children bring joy to their father; foolish children despise their mother.

No comments:

God is the Great I AM

This devotion is what our family read last night, and it is powerful.   It is from “Doing Things That Matter”, a devotional from youvers...