Monday, June 18, 2012

a Father's Day commitment


This is my command—be strong and courageous!  Do not be afraid or discouraged.  For the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.”

Me with my 3 kids. Aug 2003
The role of a parent, especially from my perspective as a dad, is not an easy one.  God has called me to lead my family and to be the best cheerleader and guide that I can be for my wife and kids.

One incredible way to lead is to be an encourager.  If there is a need to make a commitment as a dad, here is a great one…

Be a living testimony (being holy, being honest).  Too many people are fake.  Own your strengths and weaknesses.  We can get our kids to read the Bible and go to church, yet unless they see Christ living through you, faith isn’t real.

Work a plan of teaching intentionally (this is our family devotions and more).  We live our lives situation-by-situation or problem-by-problem much of the time.  The old saying, “if you fail to plan, you plan to fail” is so right in every area.  It applies to our families too.  We must teach the truth with conviction and faith.

Relying spiritually on God is a must and not an option.  Realize the world and our enemy Satan are trying to entice our families.  There are distractions and issues that keep us from following God.  As a dad and a parent, I must mark my life with strong faith that helps me live with courage.

The book of Joshua begins with the transition of Moses to Joshua leading God’s people, and God reminds Joshua that the promises that were given to Moses are still in place and real for God’s people.  As a dad, I must realize that God’s promises and truth are still for me and my family.  Living by faith isn’t easy, but it is right.

And now, just as you accepted Christ Jesus as your Lord, you must continue to follow him.

May God help each of us to be strong and courageous.  May we be people know for being rooted in God as we root for and strengthen our families and other people that we get to lead.  It is an honor to show people who God is and what He does!

No comments:

pray for your children

The beginning of the school year brings all kinds of thoughts and emotions my way.   My wife, a 1st grade teacher, told our 9th grader s...