Friday, June 8, 2012

some of THOSE people



As the weekend comes heading our way like a freight train, I want to share some people with you that really encourage me and that I am grateful for.  OK.  The weekend is not a freight train, but we can’t stop it from getting here.  It will also bring some opportunities, some rest, some fun and more of whatever we’d like to make it.

There are several people, or groups of people, that I am thankful for, and that I want to give a shout out to.

“‘Yes,’ the king replied, ‘and to those who use well what they are given, even more will be given. But from those who do nothing, even what little they have will be taken away.

Last year a friend called and asked if our church would like to host some marriage enrichment classes.  I answered yes, and this has been a real blessing.  So let me say THANK YOU to Sharon Brooks Hodge of the Black Family Preservation Group for organizing the classes, to Larry Compter of the Marriage Alliance of Central Virginia and Pastor JC Richardson of Mt. Sinai Church here in our community.  My wife and I and others have been blessed by this opportunity (there is one more session left this year that begins the end of this month; let me know if you’d like to be a part).

We were filled with laughter, and we sang for joy. And the other nations said, “What amazing things the LORD has done for them.”

I’ve known Barry McGee for several years, but this year has taken our relationship to a new level.  Barry has partnered with our church and Dream Center by helping us raise money and put smiles on people’s faces.  This friend is a gifted comedian who makes your stomach hurt after laughing so much and makes you stop and think as he talks about the greatness of our God.  Thank you Barry for becoming a trusted ministry partner and continuing to be a great friend.

Another partner that I am indebted to this year is Jon Morris who is the executive director of STEP, Inc. in Rocky Mount, VA.  STEP has been a strategic partner of ours as we help the needy and homeless in our community.  Jon has taught me much about the non-profit world as well as been a dear friend and encourager. 

There are “friends” who destroy each other, but a real friend sticks closer than a brother.

The last shout out in this post goes to the leaders, staff and volunteer team at The Community Fellowship.  I am blessed to work with incredible people.  They are gifted to serve and to go the extra mile.  What excites me the most about these people is that they get the vision of demonstrating the love of God to our community with no strings attached all for the cause of Christ.  I can’t name them all, but I will say THANK YOU to Donna, John, Michelle, Cathy and all the rest of our awesome team members.  I love each of you!

But one who prophesies strengthens others, encourages them, and comforts them.

It takes all of us to get the job done.  We are stronger together.  We can help and encourage more people together.  Thank you to these people.  Forgive me if I left you out because there are many, MANY people who deserve thanks for all you do for Christ as my partner in ministry and life!

No comments:

happy birthday, Julie

Proverbs 18:22   NLT The man who finds a   wife   finds a treasure, and he receives   favor   from the   Lord . Yes, I have foun...