Tuesday, July 17, 2012

some right choices are tough


… I will honor those who honor me, and I will despise those who think lightly of me.

We might think that honoring God is a simple task, but that is the place where we need to take another look at what it means to honor God.  To honor means ‘to give value’ to something or ‘to make special’.  To dishonor means ‘to remove value’ or ‘to make something ordinary’.  That reality makes me stop in my tracks and ask about how I value my wife, my children and even my God.

God honors those who honor Him.  To honor God means we give God His rightful place in our lives.  That would not only include going to church or giving offerings.  It would include every area of my life … thoughts, money, words, and more.

It is important that we allow God into those areas and every area.  Please don’t think that I am being legalistic.  I’m not trying to point out your flaws and problems.  My point is to say this is where God is taking my heart and my desire for Him.  Here are some things I have been thinking through:

What sorrow for those who are wise in their own eyes and think themselves so clever.

Having confidence and pride can be healthy, but often self-confidence is unhealthy.  We can either think too highly of ourselves or too low.  There has to be a balance.  My prayer is that my confidence will hinge on what God says and knows about me.  I want to share what God says and the vision He has given me with faith so that others see God in big ways.

We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ,

This may be the biggest hurdles that I have in my life.  Maybe it is tough for you too.  So many things influence our thoughts.  What we put in front of us impacts our thoughts.  The stuff we read, watch, listen to and take in leads us to think more and more about what we have taken in.  If our thoughts don’t honor God, we should take those thoughts captive and throw them out.

But now you must be holy in everything you do, just as God who chose you is holy.

Again, this is not a legalistic journey.  This is a call to live by grace allowing God to transform our lives.  I want to allow His forgiveness to consume me so that I believe that I am forgiven and forgive others.  I want to push aside the things that God says are not good for me and be an example for others of what honors God.

These are tough choices that are right.  God is honored when we make right choices, and God will honor us as we let His greatness fill our lives.  I want to love what God loves and pursue what God loves.  Some right choices are tough.

No comments:

pray for your children

The beginning of the school year brings all kinds of thoughts and emotions my way.   My wife, a 1st grade teacher, told our 9th grader s...