Friday, August 10, 2012

some of our blessings


All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly realms because we are united with Christ.

Have you stepped back lately and noticed some of our blessings?  I have, and once again I stand amazed at what God has done, what God is doing and what God has in store for us.

Last Sunday evening as I flew to Oklahoma I was having a conversation with a lady from North Carolina.  She was scared of flying and things in her life aren’t going great.  At one point she and I looked out the window and noticed the beauty of the clouds.  All kinds of shape and size clouds seemed to endless line our view and beacon us to look further and even to find peace.  God has blessed us with creation.  Whether you are standing in the mountains enjoying the voice, lounging on the beach soaking up all the rays and the breeze and the sounds, sitting at the park watching the kids play or wherever you are, we see the beauty of what God has created.

This is not one of those weeks that I’d like to repeat.  Several times I have sat at my grandmother’s side holding her hand.  I have opportunity to watch her sleep, to hear stories, to reassure her all is ok and to tell her I love her.  Grandma Bobbie is holding on, but we don’t know for how long.  I am blessed with a sweet family, but we are not perfect.  With all our flaws, we really do love each other.

I still can’t get my mind around all God did through our back2school outreach and the blessings that God gave us.  Here is a list of some of our blessings: two churches joining the effort, God providing the money needed to make it happen, way over 400 volunteers giving their time and heart to make a difference, all those students and their smiles, the prayers that were said with those students and the impression each student left with, the ground work laid for an even greater impact in the future.  These blessings are too numerous to count.

As I prepare to fly home, I am aware of the blessings close to home.  I have missed my wife, Julie, and our three incredible children, Rebecca, Ruth and Ryan.  I am blessed with a great church in The Community Fellowship (kind of nice to get away from the hustle of things but I have missed being in the thick of helping people each day).  I am blessed with a God who loves me and desires time with me.  In that time with God the outpouring is incredible.

Strength and dignity are her clothing, And she smiles at the future.

That verse has stayed on my mind for a couple weeks, and I am praying that each of us (man, women or child) will be able to smile at the future as we realize our blessings and live out of the abundance God is providing.  God has been so good to us, and it is not over. 

I sat with some friends Thursday morning and talked about what God is doing back in Virginia.  At one point I literally wanted to get out of my chair and start dancing and shouting.  Sometimes you have to step back, get a little perspective and take a deep breathe so you can see and enjoy some of our blessings.  They really are, our blessings really are like the waves of the ocean … beautiful, come in all sizes, have impact on many people, and they are unending!

Our children will also serve him. Future generations will hear about the wonders of the Lord.

For I know the plans I have for you,” says the LORD. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.

No comments:

happy birthday, Julie

Proverbs 18:22   NLT The man who finds a   wife   finds a treasure, and he receives   favor   from the   Lord . Yes, I have foun...