Friday, September 14, 2012

leadership thought



I shared the following with our church leaders and a few friends today.  It continues to roll around my brain.  So, I thought I would share it with you…

Pride leads to conflict; those who take advice are wise.

I've heard and read that verse for a long time. Today as I read it and pray over it I am reminded that a leader must be empty of self and pride so that God can speak to and through them. But take that a step forward. We have to be empty of pride so that those we labor with and those who counsel us can speak into our lives. 

When we get in the way, the process is messed up. When our pride is allowed freedom, we miss the best God has for us. Then as leaders our pride keeps those we lead from the best God has for them. 

Guys, this verse humbled me today because I know that before us is a huge vision for bigger than we know impact on thousands of people. Yet here is a warning. Pride may be the very thing that keeps us from doing what God called US to do. Wisdom may be the very thing that opens the door for us having the huge impact that God is preparing us to have. 

I mean ... WOW. Do you see what I see? I'm so excited. 

Let me give you an example. Yesterday I was talking with one of church leaders. We shared a possible hindrance ahead of us. Then we both had an idea to make a call to a very wise person we both know to ask a question. I made the call. What I learned was that what we thought was going to be a hindrance might very well provide our church will enough resources to serve bigger and serve many more people. Details later. But wow. God is good. 

Take this verse today. Let it rattle around in your head as it is in mine. May God help us do away with the wrong pride and help us listen to and heed the wisdom we are given. 

No comments:

lead follower

I was reading an article from a pastor that was sharing his heart for his church family and impacting his community one person at a time...