Wednesday, September 5, 2012

power in God's word


I’ve been an advocate of reading the Bible for a long time.  That is part of my job, to get people to hear God and respond to Him.  One of my pet peeves is that people sometimes can’t understand the Bible they have.  We have so many resources from different Bible translations to special helps that allow us to understand the Bible even better.

One of the greatest resources I have found is You Version.  This website and mobile application gives you many Bible translations and helps.  It also offers reading plans that will help the reader read and ingest God’s word.

Several years ago I began a daily regiment of reading Proverbs.  It is one of my favorites, but for the last almost 3 years reading through the Bible has come alive to me.  I challenge you to do the same.  Find the time, the place, the Bible and a plan to assist you in reading God’s word.  Let it sink in.  This is not meant to be a daily chore but a daily pleasure.

Monday was a great day.  It wasn’t because we were driving the 600 miles and 9 hours to our home.  It was because the Bible came alive as I read Colossians 1.  God speaks through the Bible, His word and love letter to us.  This chapter reminded me of many things and today I pray it will remind you of many:

The following verses are from Colossians 1 and the New Living translation of the Bible:

6 This same Good News that came to you is going out all over the world. It is bearing fruit everywhere by changing lives, just as it changed your lives from the day you first heard and understood the truth about God’s wonderful grace.

13-14 For he has rescued us from the kingdom of darkness and transferred us into the Kingdom of his dear Son, who purchased our freedom and forgave our sins.

19-20 For God in all his fullness
was pleased to live in Christ, and through him God reconciled
everything to himself.
He made peace with everything in heaven and on earth
by means of Christ’s blood on the cross.

23 But you must continue to believe this truth and stand firmly in it. Don’t drift away from the assurance you received when you heard the Good News. The Good News has been preached all over the world, and I, Paul, have been appointed as God’s servant to proclaim it.

29 That’s why I work and struggle so hard, depending on Christ’s mighty power that works within me.

Lord, help us fall even more in love with the Bible and to listen intently to your verse.  May we crave your word and find a way to make it a part of every day.  Thank you for You Version and for the Bible that I have come to enjoy.  Help each person who reads this to love the Bible and hearing from you more than ever before.  Thank you for the power that comes from your word.

No comments:

happy birthday, Julie

Proverbs 18:22   NLT The man who finds a   wife   finds a treasure, and he receives   favor   from the   Lord . Yes, I have foun...