Tuesday, November 6, 2012

elected officials ... VOTE!!!


It is Election Day, and I believe that it is important that we vote.  It is our right and responsibility as Christians and as citizens of the United States.  Our schools talk about helping children become good citizens.  As parents we are seeking to help our children do what is right and make our nation and the world a better place.

With that being said, I believe that part of being a good citizen is practice our right to vote.  This post is not intended to make you vote or to be a political statement about who to vote for or an issue to hold up.  I intend to ask you to think about yourself in relation to the country where we have the freedom to live, worship, and seek life.

There are a few givens or truths that we need to know:

Everyone must submit to governing authorities. For all authority comes from God, and those in positions of authority have been placed there by God.

Every person in authority has been placed there by God.  Even those who aren’t Christian or don’t seem to care about the values of the Bible are put in place by God and for a reason.  It is our responsibility to understand the place of authority in our lives.

Psalm 33:12 NASB

Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD, The people whom He has chosen for His own inheritance.

The nations that seek God will be blessed.  People who seek God will be blessed.  We can look back through the history of the United States and of other nations and see that God blessed when people took time to look to Him.  The United States was founded by people who believed in God and led others to believe in God.

Pray this way for kings and all who are in authority so that we can live peaceful and quiet lives marked by godliness and dignity.

I believe our first responsibility as a Christian is to pray.  Many people complain about our president or situation or government and do nothing to make a difference.  Voting does make a difference, and when we share the values that God has given us, we help others get stronger.  Pray for those in authority over you more than you complain about them.

God taught me this many years ago when I was complaining about our president.  The old saying “you have 2 ears and one mouth” came back to teach me that listening is more important than speaking, and in turn praying is much more important than sharing my opinion.  God has more power through my prayer than I do through sharing my thoughts.

Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land.

This is the final point.  We must seek God above all else.  When we vote, we must seek God.  As we live we must seek God, and when God shares truth with us, we must respond to Him.  It is at that point that God will bless us, His children.

It is time to do what God leads us to do.  I encourage you to vote today and to share your faith with others through your action and your words!

No comments:

happy birthday, Julie

Proverbs 18:22   NLT The man who finds a   wife   finds a treasure, and he receives   favor   from the   Lord . Yes, I have foun...