Thursday, April 18, 2013

we don't talk about that



There are some things that we just don’t talk about.  No, I am not alluding something that is indecent or vulgar.  I am talking about the conversations that are just plain hard to have even with people we love that we’d rather not talk to about certain things.

Instead, we will speak the truth in love, growing in every way more and more like Christ, who is the head of his body, the church.

I’ve been texting my friend Mike a couple times a day just to let him know that I am praying for his family because his mother in law is critical ill and near death.  She is young, but her health has slipped away the last few months.  In his last text he shared how they talked about death and meeting Jesus.  Those are not easy conversations to have.

Almost every week I talk with married couples that are struggling, and typically there are one or two areas that they just don’t talk about.  This week I was able to spend time with a good friend, Joe Sangl.  This man and his I Was Broke, And Now I Am Not book and campaign helped our marriage big time.  Finances were a tough conversation for us, but now we are on the same page and can talk about it.

Talking with our teen daughters about relationships and sex isn’t easy, but that is a conversation that needs to happen.  Our girls are different from each other.  I am proud of them and their choices, and it is my job as they father to not side step the issues.  In lots of families this is just not talked about.  It ought to be a conversation we have.

What are the conversations that you are avoiding?  Maybe it is about your health, and you need to talk to your doctor.  Maybe it is a conversation with a former friend, and you need to ask forgiveness or talk about how you hurt each other.  That conversation needs to happen.  Maybe it’s the conversation with you spouse about something you’ve been hiding, and you need to seek honesty and be gracious.  Some things really aren’t easy to talk about.  Yet it is time to grow, to learn to give grace and to share forgiveness.

We loved you so much that we shared with you not only God’s Good News but our own lives, too.

Loving like God loves us means we are willing to have tough conversations.  I don’t like conflict at all.  I avoid it and loathe it.  But having these talks has often taught me how to better live by grace, how to seek God and how to help others experience the best that God has for both of us.  Again, what conversation do you need to have with someone?

No comments:

interacting with the Word of God

My family is in the middle of a devotion that uses one of my favorite passages in the Bible about the Bible.   These words about the wor...