Wednesday, October 23, 2013

the love of God



We know, dear brothers and sisters, that God loves you and has chosen you to be his own people.

I sit across the table from a friend who is pouring out their heart, and the pain they are going through is so very real.  There is almost nothing I can do.  I listen.  I speak very little as my heart is twisted, aching and I’m asking God for help and wisdom.

Tears are welling up inside me as the story about this friend’s kids makes me want to grab them up to protect them and let them know the love of God.  All I can do is affirm the thoughts and actions of my friend, and I must even more affirm and share that God loves them no matter what.

One of our church staff begins to share with me about one of our members that is going through a very tough situation.  Homelessness is becoming almost inevitable.  There is no matter as well as lots and lots of troubles all around.  Yet several friends have stepped up to offer wisdom and encouragement.  None of us can make the right choices for this church family member, but our hearts hurt for them.

Several days ago an email came into my inbox from a lady in our community that I had a conversation with a few days before.  This friend shared a few details as we talked face to face to, but this email opened up what Paul Harvey called ‘the rest of the story’.  Again my heart sank and hurt for this friend.  They had been going through a situation that few knew about, and in silence along with their child sought to give help, love and even forgiveness only to be rejected.  Once again all I could do was share prayers and remind them of God’s love.

As I left a meeting yesterday afternoon my assistant sent me a text message.  It was simple and to the point.  A lady who came to our church for help with food or benevolence spent some time talking with one of our staff and had accepted Jesus as our savior.  Someone took a few minutes to simply reiterate the fact that God loves her big time.

Isn’t that the most important thing we can do?  Sharing the truth of God’s love makes a difference, yet there are barriers that keep us from knowing or accepting God’s love.  One of those barriers is hunger, another is anger or bitterness, another is the pain of brokenness.  We might have to meet a need before we can share God’s love.  We might have to spend a few minutes listening before we can talk about the goodness of God.

The love of God is the reason we do what we do.  The love of God is the reason we are still around.  The love of God makes the world go round.  May our lives, our words and our help pass on the reality of God’s love to as many people as possible and may that love change as many lives as possible through us and through others.  The love of God is incredible!

Your love has given me much joy and comfort, my brother, for your kindness has often refreshed the hearts of God’s people.

No comments:

lead follower

I was reading an article from a pastor that was sharing his heart for his church family and impacting his community one person at a time...