Thursday, January 2, 2014

great beginning


Psalm 1:3  NASB
He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water, Which yields its fruit in its season And its leaf does not wither; And in whatever he does, he prospers.

This verse comes at the beginning of the book of Psalms, written by David who was the shepherd boy turned king.  He is talked about the person who has set his mind and heart on what really matters.

The first choice that this person made was God.  Nothing at all is going to get in his or her way of following the one who loves them most, and that person is God who constantly guides and gives wisdom.  God is the focus and the reason at the same time.  What is most important is not stuff but a relationship.  What is going to last is not what this person holds but what holds this person.

The next logical and even spiritual choice is who they will allow to pour into their lives.  He is not going to spend time with those who chose wicked things or actions, or those who are planning ways to hurt or mock others.  Righteousness is a literally choice that begins with the heart, inside the person, and makes its way to the words and actions, what’s on the outside.

Why has this person found a great beginning?  The why is because God is most important relationship in his or her life.  From the verse above I find something that will 2014 a strong year for me or for anyone who wants to honor God and be successful.  I love what I get to do in life … to be a husband, a father, a pastor and a leader … but success is only going to come when priorities are right.

With all these things in mind, dear brothers and sisters, stand firm and keep a strong grip on the teaching we passed on to you both in person and by letter.

This person is firmly planted in God like a tree that has roots that go deep into ground beside a stream.  Firm in God is not an option for success.  It is the right and only choice for the best leaders.

John 15:16  NLT
You didn’t choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name.

We were made to bear fruit.  Our lives make sense when we allow the sweetness and kindness of God to work through us.  There is fruit of many kinds.  As each fruit is born in our lives people are touched and changed.  Fruit is about people.

Joshua 1:7  NLT
Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the instructions Moses gave you. Do not deviate from them, turning either to the right or to the left. Then you will be successful in everything you do.

There you have it.  Success comes as we stay the right coarse.  By keeping what God has taught us and pressing on with those truths guiding us, we will be successful. 

I desire success.  Success for my marriage, my family and the church that I am honored to lead.  As a reminder, the church is not the building or property that we hold.  The church is the people who I get to serve and worship with each week.  God loves these people and so do I.  That’s why I want success for them.

Therefore the great leader and as a leader I chose to be firmly planted allowing fruit that God gives to come through my life and impact the lives of the precious people around me.  I chose a great beginning.  The beginning of a new year.  The beginning of a new theme and opportunities at our church. 

My prayer is for you and me to have a great beginning of 2014.  Chose God first in all things.  That’s where we find success.

No comments:

God is the Great I AM

This devotion is what our family read last night, and it is powerful.   It is from “Doing Things That Matter”, a devotional from youvers...