Tuesday, April 8, 2014

influence who

Yesterday was one of those days that seemed never to end.  It was full from start to finish, but it also offered many opportunities to influence people.  I take this chance to remind you and to remind myself to examine how we influence others.  Deep in my deep and with all my energy I want to influence people for Jesus.

This is how the Lord responds: “If you return to me, I will restore you so you can continue to serve me.  If you speak good words rather than worthless ones, you will be my spokesman.  You must influence them; do not let them influence you!

Influence comes in many shapes and forms.  Influence comes with our presence, through our smile, through words, actions and more.  We are always an influence, and that is why it is important to choose what kind of influence we will be.

So I’d like to take a few paragraphs and talk about the people and situations I got to influence yesterday, but please understand that I am only a part of a team or teams of people who are trying to do good and honor God.

Point of influence: I was honored to sit at a table at a local government agency and seek answers to a problem a family in our community is having.  Several organizations were represented and want to help.

Point of influence: I was able to spend a few minutes talking to a friend in crisis, offer words of encouragement and pray over their family.  My heart hurts for these people.

Point of influence: Last night I got to preach at the FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) meeting at our local community college.  Over 50 athletes were challenge to see opportunities rather than excuses as they chose to be all in with Jesus.  Pray for these students.

Point of influence: I had a conversation with a young mother battling many of life’s issues.  It was insightful to hear her acknowledge her battle and how she desires to not let the enemy take her or her children.

Point of influence: Some of our church leaders were part of a conference call discussing possibilities for our new campus in strong and creative ways.  We listened as an expert and friend shared with us some big ideas.  This time was well spent, and I pray will open us to help more people.

Point of influence: Family devotion time closes out our day, and we have been discussing Noah.  Last night’s scripture was about being strong and courageous.  Our kids have to see us as parents living by faith.  I pray I influence my kids to live with great courage.

There were several more conversations, times of prayer, emails, texts, calls and even study to be able to influence more people.  What I realize is that influence really is chosen.  It is something we cannot and must not take for granted.  Truth.  Your influence and mine is a precious commodity that we should not waste.

How will you influence the people you come in contact with today?

I want them to be encouraged and knit together by strong ties of love. I want them to have complete confidence that they understand God’s mysterious plan, which is Christ himself.

No comments:

responding to the hatred

Today I share with you an article from one of my favorite writers and speakers, Margaret Feinberg.   In this article she shares insight ...