Tuesday, October 21, 2014

leading together


Every one of us has people in our lives that are important.  All people are important, but these people are the ones who mean the most and take on more value in your life.  Yes, I am talking about family.

When one of our family members has something going on, great families come together.  Yesterday was one of those days.  No, it wasn’t about someone who got sick or someone who had some great thing happen.  It was an important day because it was my precious wife’s birthday.

My job was simple.  I was let her know that she is special to me and to our kids.  I think we do ok.  The day began with us singing to her and giving her some surprises.  The day held several other great moments as well.  Julie means the world to me, and I am honored to have her as my partner in life.

In the past few months another big connection happened between myself and Julie, and it was when she stepped in to lead the children’s ministry at The Community.  That was a great day for us as well.

Leading isn’t easy.  In fact, leading can be down right risky.  I am grateful that she chose to take this risk.

Psalm 27:14   NLT
Wait patiently for the Lord. Be brave and courageous. Yes, wait patiently for the Lord.

Often we want to make a move and fast, yet the best and most important characteristic of a great leader is waiting in God.  I believe that waiting on God takes bravery.

Julie taught me this a couple years ago by diving into getting her Master’s Degree after believing that God led her to do so.  It was evident that was true by how it came together, and we are still seeing that evidence as well as praying for more open doors.

Now it is the proverbial “waiting game”.  Trusting God means waiting on God.  We can live and lead in our own strength, or we can live and lead in His strength.  The difference is the doing things on our own will get weak results that won't last.  Doing things through trusting God brings eternal results.

Watch, stand fast in the faith, be brave, be strong.

Being patient also means that we cannot hide our head in the sand, but we are to watch and be ready when God shows us the way to go.  That is what Julie did by joining me in leading in the children’s area of our church.

We've seen God work in the past.  He will do it again.  We are firm in our faith and not going to waver from this.  Our own thinking will lead us in the wrong direction.  By not trusting God we will find ourselves questioning and losing our confidence.

Strength comes through obedience.  I am not talking about my Julie obeying me.  That might get me in hot water, but what I am talking about is Julie and I obeying the voice of God.  It is risky to follow what God says, but it is right.  It is also going to bring about the very best for us, for those we lead and for all the people we will be able to serve.

Joshua 1:7  NLT
Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the instructions Moses gave you. Do not deviate from them, turning either to the right or to the left. Then you will be successful in everything you do.

Courage is not only an option; courage is a command.  God expects those who follow Him to live with courage, to take risks and to lead with confidence.

God didn't make us puppets where He is the almighty puppet master.  He is a gracious, compassionate God leading us to do what is right, but you and I have to make a choice as to what we are going to do.  Will we follow God or do our own thing?

When we leave the truth of God to do something else, the evident or trouble will be something that we find.  In the opposite direction, when we do what God leads us to do, there will be success.  That is what I am expecting and pushing toward.

Julie and I have learned that following God isn’t easy, but following God is always right and brings the best results.  Over 21 years ago we began to learn as a married couple to follow God, and her birthday yesterday reminded me of why we are together and why we follow God together.

Living by faith takes courage, and leading together makes us much stronger!

No comments:

what is eclipsed in our lives

Psalm 19:1   NIV The  heaven s  declare  the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. The media and social media is...