Wednesday, January 7, 2015

overwhelmed by God


I am overwhelmed with joy in the Lord my God! For he has dressed me with the clothing of salvation and draped me in a robe of righteousness. I am like a bridegroom dressed for his wedding or a bride with her jewels.

In the sermon this past Sunday morning I referred to a current song playing on Christian radio stations that has caught my attention.  The song is “Overwhelmed” by the group Big Daddy Weave.  I will share some of the lyrics with you at the end of this post, but I would like to share some of my experiences with you.

As a teenager there were several times when I encountered God, but two of those times stick out for me.  The first was near a river in Arkansas when the Bible began to come alive to me.  It was there that I began to read the Bible and understand some of the huge concepts of God’s grace and love.  The second place was another retreat, but it was not the location.  It was the setting one evening of listening to people share their story of coming to faith in God.  That was a moving time that I remember being overwhelmed by God.

Not long after I became a pastor I began to spend time with a man who was a few years older than me.  He and his wife had a couple young kids.  He took me fishing with him.  I hung out as he worked on his farm.  He would serve at the church I was pastor of.  Over that year or so I remember the conversation and the change that was taking place in his life as God moved.  I was totally overwhelmed by God’s work in his life.

After moving to Virginia I met some amazing people.  One of those people was a lady battling cancer.  She accompanied our youth to an event in Roanoke, and it was there that I sat talking about her faith and her family.  During one of the worship services the music was incredible, the preaching was good, but spending that time overwhelmed both of us at the goodness of God.

Please understand that I am not encouraging you or me to have more experiences with God.  Experiences are not what the Christian life is all about.  It is about a relationship with the God who loves us so much.  It is when we understand His love that we will find ourselves overwhelmed by Him.  Those are precious experiences that spring from genuine love and faith.

I have been overwhelmed many, many times by God.  I challenge you to seek Him so much in 2015 that you cannot help but be overwhelmed by our great and mighty God.

Here are the words to the song I mentioned:

"Overwhelmed"

I see the work of Your Hands
Galaxies spin in a Heavenly dance oh God
All that You are is so overwhelming

I hear the sound of Your Voice
All at once it’s a gentle and thundering noise oh God
All that You are is so overwhelming

I delight myself in You
Captivated by Your beauty
I’m overwhelmed, I’m overwhelmed by You

God, I run into Your arms
Unashamed because of mercy
I’m overwhelmed, I’m overwhelmed by You

I know the power of Your Cross
Forgiven and free forever You’ll be my God

All that You’ve done is so overwhelming
I delight myself in You
In the Glory of Your Presence
I’m overwhelmed, I’m overwhelmed by You

God, I run into Your arms
Unashamed because of mercy
I’m overwhelmed, I’m overwhelmed by You

You are Beautiful, You are Beautiful
Oh God, there is no one more Beautiful
You are Beautiful, God you are the most Beautiful

You are Wonderful, You are Wonderful
Oh God, there is no one more Wonderful
You are Wonderful, God You are the most Wonderful

You are Glorious, You are Glorious
Oh God, there is no one more Glorious
You are Glorious, God you are the most Glorious


Mark 9:15  NLT
When the crowd saw Jesus, they were overwhelmed with awe, and they ran to greet him.

No comments:

lead follower

I was reading an article from a pastor that was sharing his heart for his church family and impacting his community one person at a time...