Friday, November 6, 2015

3 great men



The glory of young men is their strength, And the honor of old men is their gray hair.

Eugene has been a friend for almost 15 years, and he is part of the Raceway Ministry at Martinsville Speedway.  Eugene turned 90 years old last month and continues to serve in many places.  He loves his church and church family continuing to faithfully serve there.  Every Thursday he volunteers at Grace Network (one of our local benevolence agencies) helping people who are getting food.  He doesn’t miss a race.  In fact in early October he served at the speedway on his birthday while he family wanted to surprise him at church on his special day, but Eugene was at the speedway.  This past weekend he served four days straight at Martinsville Speedway.  He is an incredible man!

Joe is in his middle 80’s and came by the church this week to visit with me and offer condolences due to my mother’s death.  Joe has a great testimony.  He served with our Winter Warming Shelter last winter, and his story is one I can sit and listen to for hours.  He was a truck driver and living way away from God, but God got Joe’s attention while he was driving in Florida.  His life is totally changed.  He teaches at church each Sunday and Wednesday.  Joe also serves with our local jail and prison ministry.  Before moving to Martinsville Joe ran a trucker’s ministry at several large truck stops.  This man is a humble giant.

Burnett cuts my hair.  He will be 90 years old in December, and he has been cutting hair for more than 60 years.  One of the things that I love about Burnett is how we pray for the people he serves who do not know Jesus.  He shares his faith and loves people from his barber chair.  There is no one who gives an old-fashioned barber shave like this great man.  He loves music.  He loves people.  This man encourages me in big ways and understands how difficult ministry can be.

You shall rise up before the grayheaded and honor the aged, and you shall revere your God; I am the Lord.

These men and others mean a great deal to me.  I am reminded that it is important to lead well those who look up to us.  There are many other people that I have learned much from, but I wanted to introduce you to these great men that are my friends.

No comments:

make adjustments so you can thrive

There’s more to being a Christian than just getting by.  Many of the people you and I deal with are just surviving.  Go...