Wednesday, November 11, 2015

one month ago today


Psalm 116:15  NASB
Precious in the sight of the Lord Is the death of His godly ones.

One month ago today.  The call came about 2:15 in the morning.  My heart was already heavy.  The voice on the other end was calm and certain.  The nurse identified herself, and in a few second that seemed wrapped in kindness and certainty she shared that my mom had died.  I was numb.  It’s still very real.

I went to wake my dad and get him to call my brothers.  A short time later we gathered in her room at the Clare House.  That was a day, a place, a time I will not soon forget.  No more breathing.  No more oxygen.  No more straining or confusion.  Not sure all I thought or even felt at that moment.  A few pieces of it I have yet to deal with.

What I do know is heaven is real, and now heaven is a sweeter place.  It is the place holding God’s promises and our eternity.  This is something that I am certain of and grateful for.

She prepared.  We all prepared for this time.  I am so grateful that I could spend many days with my mom and in Oklahoma as her life on earth came to an end.  What does seem like an end is more like a beginning, a fulfillment of those promises, a door that opened, a train that delivered a new passenger and a constant light that led to peace.

Like I said I am still struggling with this one.  Each day is a blessing.  Saying I love you is important, so very important.

Over the days right after mom moved to heaven she seemed to whisper to me through the pages of her Bible some of these things:

Isaiah 55:8-9 NLT
“My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,” says the Lord. “And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine.  For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways are higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts.

Jude 21-24 NLT
and await the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ, who will bring you eternal life. In this way, you will keep yourselves safe in God’s love.  And you must show mercy to those whose faith is wavering. Rescue others by snatching them from the flames of judgment. Show mercy to still others, but do so with great caution, hating the sins that contaminate their lives.

-- God never lets anything touch my life that isn’t for my good or for His glory.

-- Lord, when I’m feeling lonely and blue, I remember I am only passing thru – I’m going home.  Home to one great big happy family.  Living in mansions – mansions ready and prepared for me – mansions where Jesus will wipe away every tear and there will be no more sorrow.  This is God’s promise to me!

I acknowledge once again how real our blessings have been and continue to be.

Over the past few months I’ve noticed that many friends have lost parents and other loved ones.  My heart aches for these people.  I am also grateful for those who continue to remind me that they are praying for my family.  Praise God for His comfort.

who comforts us in all our affliction so that we will be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.

No comments:

God is the Great I AM

This devotion is what our family read last night, and it is powerful.   It is from “Doing Things That Matter”, a devotional from youvers...