Monday, December 7, 2015

another Monday mind dump


My son, let them not vanish from your sight; Keep sound wisdom and discretion, 22  So they will be life to your soul And adornment to your neck. 23 Then you will walk in your way securely And your foot will not stumble. 24 When you lie down, you will not be afraid; When you lie down, your sleep will be sweet. 25 Do not be afraid of sudden fear Nor of the onslaught of the wicked when it comes; 26 For the Lord will be your confidence And will keep your foot from being caught.

This past week was one of those that brought much joy and sadness across our nation and the world.  Our family enjoyed having my dad with us for an extended visit.  On the other coast of our country there was a brutal shooting that took innocent lives much like what happened in Paris a few weeks before.  It is also the beginning of the Christmas season as we seek to celebrate our Savior’s life but are continually pushed away from talking about Jesus.  Again, joy and sadness are rampant.

The verses above remind me that faith always trumps fear.  The absence of fear and the presence of God’s peace allows us to sleep soundly.  The choice is ours.  God said that we don’t have to let present circumstances corner us with loads of fear.  Instead we must trust God because He gives us confidence and peace.

I choose again to throw your way what may be called a “mind dump” of some things that are running through my mind and some through my heart.  I pray that God will use one or more of these points to draw you closer to Him.

- my dad is a great man, and this was proven once again by how he pours wisdom into my life and my family as he has the last 12 days.  I hate to see him go home and cannot wait for his next visit.

- yesterday 48 people from The Community Fellowship took envelopes and committed to be part of GIVE-BACK as part of our Christmas ARK’s (acts of random kindness) series.  They were to find someone to bless in a tangible way that in turn demonstrates God’s love to them.  Join in.  Bless some people this Christmas season.

- being the parent of a college student isn’t easy, and we are so proud of our Rebecca.  Her first semester is almost over, and she will be home for a month!

- the people who visit our church continue to bless me.  I was excited to see several people return yesterday as well as a couple of new people.  Praying much for lives to be changed.

- I do love the Christmas season, but I confess that I struggle with spending money.  One of the things I enjoy is giving and blessing others.  We get to do that.  Some you will never know.

- our Spanish congregation continues to grow and get stronger.  I am grateful for Pastor Miguel and his family.

- next Sunday morning during our worship service we will have a Christmas lunch.  Church peeps and friends, brings stuff that goes with ham and turkey as the church will provide the meat and drinks.

- yesterday afternoon my dad and I got to sort through some brand new clothing that was donated to our church, and this coming Saturday is our monthly clothes closet.  Some folks will be blessed with these awesome items.  I am grateful for great partners in this work we get to do.

- I often find myself shaking my head based on the action or choices of the people around us.  Stupid choices happen.  Praise God for His grace, and I am praying for some people, a few men and women, that need an extra portion of God’s grace.

- really looking forward to spending Christmas with Julie’s family in Georgia.  What a busy and full year this has been.

- the Christmas season is full.  This week and next will afford us the opportunity to attend band concerts, parties, meals, meetings, worship, shopping and more.  I enjoy it, but the best part will be time with family celebrating Jesus!

- leading isn’t easy, and I am glad I get to work with several amazing people who continue to serve and give.

- I am praying hard for the provision for our new campus to become a reality in the coming year.  Much is needed to make this happen.

Not a lot of extra stuff there, but I am grateful that God has continued to show up and changing lives.

No comments:

make adjustments so you can thrive

There’s more to being a Christian than just getting by.  Many of the people you and I deal with are just surviving.  Go...