Monday, May 23, 2016

live for an audience of one

Be still, and know that I am God! I will be honored by every nation. I will be honored throughout the world.”

Connecting to God is something that before Jesus came was almost impossible.  God sent His son to allow us to have a personal relationship with Him.  He made a way.  He built a road.  He began what is for us a new way to live and a true way to live with meaning.

But it is really is not possible to live with strength or passion or with growing Spiritual life if we do not connect privately with our God.  In those places of silence or quiet we can hear from, speak to and spend time with the one who loves us most and has the best plan for our lives.

It is often in our quietest times with God that He speaks the loudest and our lives change the most.

Sunday I began sharing a new series with our church family. It is called FOR ONE and is drawn from a phrase I have thought through for a long time.  When I first heard the phrase for AN AUDIENCE OF ONE, I had a tough time clinging to what it really meant.  It was at that point that a man who prays for me often explained what it looks like.

He talked about a performer or group of performers who learned that the president or the pope or someone of the like was coming to town, and their job was to ready for an audience of one performance.  This hit me and has stuck with me.

AN AUDIENCE OF ONE for me speaks about my connection to God.  Our spiritual walk begins with a one on one encounter with Jesus.  Our promise of life through the death of Jesus was a sacrifice of one.  It is through the connection of one on one, us with God, that we gain strength and life.

It is in the quiet, in the focus times of our lives that we grow the most.  I have noticed that the items I retain or remember happened at the strangest of times.  Yet is in the those times that I remember God.  Do you know the things I most remember about God’s work?  It is not what He did through me or even what He did to me.  It really is the words God spoke directly to me that left me changed.

Do you want power or influence?  Plug in to where real power comes from.  Frustrated with life, where you are or where you seem to be headed?  Go to the One who has real direction.

An AUDIENCE OF ONE is directly connected to our time with God.  Notice this: we make appointments for the people we often care for the least but don’t make appointments for the ones we care for the most.  Who are the most important people in our lives?  Who is the most important one?

Luke 10:41-42  NASB
But the Lord answered and said to her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered about so many things; 42 but only one thing is necessary, for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her."

May we choose and be found doing the things that matter most and that connect us even more to our great and gracious God.  May we be living for our God, For One!

No comments:

MONDAY... thoughts on being thankful

It is thanksgiving week.   This is a time we set aside to celebrate history and to be thankful.   What are you thankful for, and by the...