Wednesday, May 3, 2017

free to live for You


We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne.

It is something like the focus of an athlete preparing for an important game or a student set to take a crucial test.  This is the person who had a single focus on Jesus and what Jesus has for us.

Look around as the game is going on.  Think about all those people that helped you prepare for this test.  All those teachers or coaches.  Your parents and family.  Your mentors and friends.  Each and everyone has made a difference in your ability to keep your focus.

But this one really is a little different.  It is not a test.  It is not a game.  This is Jesus who took our sin.  He took our place.  He is the son of God, sent for you and me and the one who holds forever our blessing and birthright.  This Jesus is the one that inspires us to take the next step or even to take a leap of faith.

The verse before is even more eye opening.  You have read it before most likely. 

Hebrews 12:1  NLT
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.

We are not alone.  Others have been where we have been.  Many others have dealt with the weakness or the pain or the heartache or the addiction or the crisis that we are going through.  That is why God reminded us to stay the coarse and remove all the things that will trip us up.

To stay on track, to keep on running we need to recognize our surrounds all the while keeping our eyes on Jesus.  His plan for us is much bigger than any plan we would have for ourselves.  His freedom and forgiveness gives us more freedom than a person being released from the worst prison.

We are free.  Newsboys’ I Am Free says it like this:

Through you the blind will see
Through you the mute will sing
Through you the dead will rise
Through you all hearts will praise
Through you the darkness flees
Through you my heart screams
I am free
Yes, I am free

I AM FREE TO RUN
I AM FREE TO DANCE
I AM FREE TO LIVE FOR YOU
I AM FREE
YES I AM FREE

Through you the kingdom comes
Through you the battle's won
Through you I'm not afraid
Through you the price is paid
Through you there's victory
Because of you my heart sings
I am free
Yes, I am free

I am free by the grace of God to pursue whatever I want, yet the best and greatest that I can pursue would by the call of God on my life.

May we live as free people and live with gusto, adventure, faith as we pursue God.

John 8:36  NLT
So if the Son sets you free, you are truly free.

No comments:

what are your hungry for!

Some things we want are really bad?   Are the things you want the best things?   Are you pursuing God or one of millions of other things...