Matthew 25:35-36,40 NASB
Those are powerful verses. But they are also revealing verses. They look at what we are doing and how we look at people. Not everyone is as compassionate or maybe able to help others. Yet everyone of us can do something.
Mother Teresa may be one of the best known for caring for the poor in our world. But there are people in your community and mine that day in and out are helping those in the middle of pain and struggle. We need to encourage those who are serving, and we also need to do all we can to serve. Looking the other way or expecting someone else to do it all is just not an option.
What are you doing to serve those in need?
Here are some thoughts from Mother Teresa:
- Each one of them is Jesus in disguise.
- Even the rich are hungry for love, for being cared for, for being wanted, for having someone to call their own.
- Many people mistake our work for our vocation. Our vocation is the love of Jesus.
- The hunger for love is much more difficult to remove than the hunger for bread.
- If you can't feed a hundred people, feed just one.
- May God break my heart so completely that the whole world falls in.
Those are powerful words. This one person made a huge difference in thousands of lives. She started helping one at a time. That is all God expects of us. Just start. Start today serving someone in need.
We meet people like this, those who are in need everyday. Some have big needs that food or shelter or money can meet. Some have needs that only our love and the love of God can meet. Start today serving someone in need.