This has been a week of
reflecting, praying and even remembering what God has taught me in the
past. As a pastor, a husband, a father
and even as a son I see how God has blessed my life. Let me remind you that those blessings aren’t
based on what I deserved. They are based
on the gracious hand of God. Maybe
Nehemiah said it best in this verse:
Nehemiah 2:18
NLT
Then I told them about how the gracious hand of God had been on me, and about my conversation with the king. They replied at once,
“Yes, let’s rebuild the wall!” So they began the good work.
“The gracious hand of God had
been on me.” That is powerful. Nehemiah knew God personally, and the people
around Nehemiah saw that evidence. I
want that to be more and more true of me.
As Julie and I were reading
through a big envelope of memories my mom saved, I came across a devotion I
shared November of 2000. I think is
appropriate to share again because it tugs at my heart and reminds me of how
God through the last 47 years has had his hand on my life.
Read and think back to how God
has blessed and taken care of your life?
--- Devotion from November of
2000 titled “a memory moment” ---
One recent evening my family went to a fathering in two
vehicles. As we made our way to leave, I
blurted out, “wants to ride with daddy?”
Before I knew it, two precious little girls were climbing into the truck
(they were 3 and 2 at this time; just 16 months difference in their ages). These are neat times ordered by the Lord.
Driving toward home we talked about their day. Rebecca told me about her visit to the
doctor, and Ruth told me about the necklace she wore for the time that I bought
for her when she was a baby. Both girls
told me of having their picture taken that morning at church. They began to get tired. Rebecca leaned on my shoulder and held my arm
as Ruth reached to hold my hand.
WOW! Two little
gifts of God, placed in my care. What do
they hear from me? What do they see from
me? There is nothing like this in the
world. That is the feeling of awe and
thankfulness to God and for great satisfaction of holding my girls. That is another God moment ordained just for
me. For our great God allows us to lean
on His should and hold His hand and Him about our day.
Do you know Him?
Lean on Him when you’re not strong, and even when you are. Share with Him when you’re hurt or confused,
and even you are not. Because just like
my little girl’s daddy longs for moments with them, our loving heavenly Father
longs for those moments with us.
Romans 8:16 NLT
For his Spirit joins with our
spirit to affirm that we are God’s children.
Galatians 4:28 NLT
And you, dear brothers and
sisters, are children of the promise, just like Isaac.
1 John 3:2 NLT
Dear friends, we are already
God’s children, but he has not yet shown us what we will be like when Christ
appears. But we do know that we will be like him, for we will see him as he
really is.
James 1:17 NLT
Whatever is good and perfect is
a gift coming down to us from God our Father, who created all the lights in the
heavens. He never changes or casts a
shifting shadow.
(NOTE: I miss those days with my girls and with my boy
too. Cherish the time you have with your
family. Really been missing my mom this
week, and going through the things that she saved, all kinds of things from
letters to pictures to church memories, reminded me of how my mom and my dad
have blessed my life. Finally, thank you
for allowing me to be a little more personal today)

Comments