grateful for back2school 2022


 

We have one event left this coming weekend for back2school, but let me tell you… what we experienced this past weekend was incredible.  I would like to download a bunch of stories for you, yet that isn’t possible.  


Let me hit some highlights that keep me thanking God for what He is doing because so many of His kids are being faithful to their calling from God.  Oh this is good.


Matthew 19:14  NLT  

But Jesus said, “Let the children come to me. Don’t stop them! For the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to those who are like these children.”


Let’s do everything in our power to point these kids to Jesus.  That is why #back2school is a reality and a great outreach.


I walked in to a church in a town no far from where I live.  They are part of the back2school partnership, one of 16 sites this year, and I stopped to watch as the story we share was being shown on a big screen.  I watched as a dear friend I haven’t seen in a number of years shared with power a story of God’s love.  Those kids heard the story, and I pray they accepted His love.


I took a picture of a few pair of shoes that had been prepared for children that would receive them after they had their feet washed.  Notice that the child’s name was on those shoes.  Volunteers prayed over those shoes and for that student by name.  Wow… these prayers will be answered.


During the middle of the day I returned to our church as the parking lot was packed with people.  Students were lined up to go inside for the next round of back2school.  Passing my a mini van I noticed a mom being followed by 4 children that looked like stair steps in their ages.  Each one, almost in unison, looked my direction and yelled “thank you”.  Those smiles, those backpacks, those little ones will be etched on my mind for a while.


About mid morning Saturday I got a text message and realized it was a simple picture of a few people that I know pretty well.  Didn’t understand why at first, but as I looked closer it was evident that a young lady was sharing the story at a back2school event.  This was a young lady who has battled many things, beaten the odds and loves to serve others.  That student is now a high school senior and shines with the love of Jesus all the time.  I love her hugs and am so proud of her!


I walked in to a new location for back2school where 6 or 7 churches were partnering to serve more than 100 students.  What grabbed my heart wasn’t the way they all prepared to serve, and they were well prepared.  What grabbed my heart wasn’t the passionate way the story was shared, and it was shared with love and with great communication.  What grabbed my heart was the line of my special friends across the back wall of the room washing the feet of students.  Several men and several women that I hold in high, high regard, that I love dearly… they were doing what Jesus did.  They were serving and loving on these students with so much heart.  Oh, this was a huge highlight and celebration time for me.


I visited another location of back2school that is pretty rural.  As I arrived it looked like the church parking lot was full.  I watched children and their families flowing in to the church.  Some were hearing the story.  Others were having their feet washed and getting new shoes.  Sitting on the couch near the entrance of the church was Shirley.  I hadn’t seen her in several years.  Shirley has many special needs, but one thing this lady has is a smile that is amazing.  So good to reconnect with her and seeing her with a back2school t-shirt on while she welcomed students to her church.  She helped others know there is hope in Jesus.


One of our leaders told me the story of a foster child.  This one will touch your heart.  The foster parent called a couple days before sharing their need, and this leader gently guided them with how to get help.  After a busy and eventful morning and almost to the end of the event day, this leader sat down to wash a student’s feet.  Who was in front of them?  It was that foster child.  As tears flowed down that leader’s cheek she shared the love of God and gave that special child a glimpse of just how valuable they are all the time.  This is why we do back2school.


Those are just a few stories.  There are more to come.  But I am reminded and remind you that the reason this ministry happens and the reason the church is here really is to point people to the God who loves us the most.


Matthew 5:16  NLT  

In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.

Comments