Skip to main content

God moments

 


Ain’t God good.  Come on now.  You have seen this reality in your life and in the lives of others.  


This month we have asked our church to seek “God moments” and to share those times where God has shown up.  I love hearing these stories.


I will share one.  August is one of our busiest and craziest of the year as we lead the back2school program.  It is crazy, but it is also amazing.  I am grateful for the almost 2,000 students that have been served this year.


Anyway, I was on the way from our church in Collinsville, Virginia to Charlotte, North Carolina to pick up the shoes we were to use for back2school when our church box truck, former U Haul, broke down in Winston-Salem which is about an hour from us and an hour and a half from my destination.


The box truck was out of commission.  I pulled in to a park and called a friend.  That friend is Andy Bowersox of Energize Ministries.  Where the box truck broke down was about a mile from his office, a couple miles from his mechanic and a mile or so from his home.


The box truck needed a new radiator and hoses.  We put water in the truck and headed to the mechanic.  Then we went to pick up a truck and trailer.  Within an hour I was on my way to Charlotte.  I was an hour late but still in time to pick up shoes and have an awesome meeting with our friend Manny Ohonme of Samaritan’s Feet.


This was a God moment for sure.  Broke down near my friend.  A loaner truck and trailer.  Ministry accomplished.  Friendships strengthened.  God showed up and showed off.  And the box truck was returned less than 24 hours later completely fixed.


God shows up, and I challenge you to look for and cherish those God moments.  That happened again yesterday in the Scripture I was reading.  And I close out this week I share a few verses with you from yesterday.  These are reminders I needed, and I would guess you can use them, too.


Amos 3:7  CSB  

“Indeed, the Lord God does nothing without revealing his counsel to his servants the prophets.”


Matthew 11:28-30 CSB 

““Come to me, all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, because I am lowly and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.””


May God give us great reminders.  May He give us God moments to cherish!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catalyst ticket arrived

My ticket to the Catalyst Conference, in Atlanta Oct 8-10, just arrived. I'm excited!

Have you heard of EDITH BURNS?

Edith Burns was a wonderful Christian who lived in San Antonio, Texas . She was the patient of a doctor by the name of Will Phillips. Dr. Phillips was a gentle doctor who saw patients as people. His favorite patient was Edith Burns.  One morning he went to his office with a heavy heart and it was because of Edith Burns.  When he walked into that waiting room, there sat Edith with her big black Bible in her lap earnestly talking to a young mother sitting beside her.  Edith Burns had a habit of introducing herself in this way: "Hello, my name is Edith Burns.  Do you believe in Easter?" Then she would explain the meaning of Easter, and many times people would be saved.  Dr. Phillips walked into that office and there he saw the head nurse, Beverly. Beverly had first met Edith when she was taking her blood pressure. Edith began by saying,"My name is Edith Burns. Do you believe in Easter?"  Beverly said, "Why yes I do."  Edith said, "Well, what do you ...

wash feet, sharing hope

  John 13:4-5,14 NLT  So he got up from the table, took off his robe, wrapped a towel around his waist, 5 and poured water into a basin. Then he began to wash the disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel he had around him… 14 And since I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash each other’s feet. Jesus set the example we follow.  He served.  He valued and gave value to others.  That is why we choose to serve. For 18 years our church has shared an outreach called back2school, and for 16 of those years we have chosen to give students brand new shoes and socks as well as washing their feet.  It is one of the most important parts of this event. Washing feet is a humbling experience where both the give and the receiver learn how to share some moments that might change their lives.  Jesus said we should do this.  See the verse above.  Follow His example, do what He did, and give far more than you will ever know....