It
has been one week since the horrible events that happened at First Baptist
Church of Sutherland Springs, Texas.
Last Sunday a man with a gun entered the church killing 25 people
including the pastor’s 14-year-old daughter.
Honestly,
I have little compassion for the gunman and lots of grief and compassion and
pain for those who lost the people they loved that day. Since hearing the news so much has gone
through my mind. Yes, we live a long way
from Sutherland Springs, Texas and even further from Las Vegas, but this could
happen at our church or at yours. I have
thought some about the grief in the pastor’s home after losing his daughter and
other people very close to his family.
What if that was our family? I
almost cannot fathom or deal with the thought.
You
and I know people who are hurting every day.
I hear people talk about cancer and other health issues that wreck their
lives with pain. I hear people share
stories of depression, deep and dark addiction and even of suicide. Pain in any form is pain and so tough to deal
with. I hear stories of families being
torn a part, of kids diving in to trouble and so much more. Pain and heartache are real parts of every
day life.
We
need to know some things that we can hold on to. God can and will touch the places of the
deepest pain. Let Him speak. Let Him work.
Psalm
34:18 NASB
The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and
saves those who are crushed in spirit.
Philippians 4:6-7 NLT
Don’t
worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need,
and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace,
which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and
minds as you live in Christ Jesus.
I
am lost without God. I need Him. That is simply the truth, and we serve an
excellent and loving God. He is close to
those who are hurting. He will deliver
peace as we lean on His.
That
is our God who shows up in small town Texas and who is present in the bright
lights of Vegas. I am grateful for these
facts. I am indebted to God and set to
soak up and share His love to those in deep pain.

Comments