there was Jesus

 

Some songs just catch your attention.  I want to share one with you today.  I listen to Christian music most of the time, but the song I will share with you had a voice that you don’t hear much in Christian music.


Zach Williams’ song The Was Jesus is the one that caught my attention, and he sings this with Dolly Parton.  She is the one you don’t hear often in Christian music.  Not only did the song get my attention but the premise behind the song continued to ring in my mind and heart as it did again yesterday.


First, let me say how impressed I am by Dolly Parton.  She is a tremendous entertainer, has a heart of compassion for hurting people, and she is a sharp business woman who has been very successful.  That is all extra.


The song.  It is powerful.  Let me get to the point by sharing some lyrics.


Every time I try to make it on my own

Every time I try to stand, I start to fall

And all those lonely roads that I have traveled on

There was Jesus


When the life I built came crashing to the ground

When the friends I had were nowhere to be found

I couldn't see it then but I can see it now

There was Jesus


In the waiting, in the searching

In the healing, in the hurting

Like a blessing buried in the broken pieces

Every minute, every moment

Where I've been or where I'm going

Even when I didn't know it

Or couldn't see it

There was Jesus …


Every minute, every moment

Where I've been or where I'm going

Even when I didn't know it

Or couldn't see it

There was Jesus


On the mountains

In the valleys

There was Jesus

In the shadows

Of the alleys

There was Jesus

In the fire, in the flood

There was Jesus

Always is and always was, oh


No, I never walk alone

Never walk alone

You're always there


In the waiting, in the searching

In the healing, in the hurting

Like a blessing buried in the broken pieces

Every minute, every moment

Where I've been or where I'm going

Even when I didn't know it

Or couldn't see it

There was Jesus


If you haven’t heard the song, go do that.  Then realize that when you need Him most, when you are down or up, there is Jesus.


2 Corinthians 1:3  NLT

All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort.

Comments