Skip to main content

Peace, Be Still


This past week has been one most of us have etched in our minds.  This hurricane, Florence, has left devastation not to far from our doors. After the coming to shore of the storm much more rain left our region crippled.  Let’s continue to pray all impacted by Florence and the storm’s impact.

We are bombarded by questions of why does God allow difficult things to happen.  Hurricanes bring wide destruction.  These storms also bring some questions about our faith and anxiety.

We have a choice with how we respond to the storms and struggles, but the largest piece I want to remind you of is that we have a choice to let our situations control us or we can control us.  Do we allow fear or faith to be the strongest factor in our lives?

Dealing with the unknown or what we cannot control is tough, and we can know, if we choose to, that God is ALWAYS in control.  He has the storms.  He has the situations.  He has our lives, our health, our emotions and everything in His hands.

How will we deal with the storms and the struggles?  

John 16:33  NASB
These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world.”

God has already overcome all of the storms this world brings our way.  But more people want to fly away from trouble rather than deal with it.

Psalm 55:6-8 NASB
I said, “Oh, that I had wings like a dove!I would fly away and be at rest.  “Behold, I would wander far away,I would lodge in the wilderness. “I would hasten to my place of refugeFrom the stormy wind and tempest.”
How will each of us look at the storms before they hit? This one is gone, but more are coming. Often I tell people in counseling sessions that the choices we make today will help us respond better to the situations that come in our tomorrows.

Proverbs 3:25  NASB
Do not be afraid of sudden fear Nor of the onslaught of the wicked when it comes;

Remember that Jesus calmed the storm.  He can calm you or the storm around you.  Trust Him

Psalm 107:28-31 NASB
Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble,And He brought them out of their distresses.29 He caused the storm to be still,So that the waves of the sea were hushed.30 Then they were glad because they were quiet,So He guided them to their desired haven.31 Let them give thanks to the Lord for His loving kindness,And for His wonders to the sons of men!


If you would like to help the ministries of The Community Fellowship and Dream Center, give generously at this link https://tcf.ccbchurch.com/goto/giving

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catalyst ticket arrived

My ticket to the Catalyst Conference, in Atlanta Oct 8-10, just arrived. I'm excited!

Have you heard of EDITH BURNS?

Edith Burns was a wonderful Christian who lived in San Antonio, Texas . She was the patient of a doctor by the name of Will Phillips. Dr. Phillips was a gentle doctor who saw patients as people. His favorite patient was Edith Burns.  One morning he went to his office with a heavy heart and it was because of Edith Burns.  When he walked into that waiting room, there sat Edith with her big black Bible in her lap earnestly talking to a young mother sitting beside her.  Edith Burns had a habit of introducing herself in this way: "Hello, my name is Edith Burns.  Do you believe in Easter?" Then she would explain the meaning of Easter, and many times people would be saved.  Dr. Phillips walked into that office and there he saw the head nurse, Beverly. Beverly had first met Edith when she was taking her blood pressure. Edith began by saying,"My name is Edith Burns. Do you believe in Easter?"  Beverly said, "Why yes I do."  Edith said, "Well, what do you ...

wash feet, sharing hope

  John 13:4-5,14 NLT  So he got up from the table, took off his robe, wrapped a towel around his waist, 5 and poured water into a basin. Then he began to wash the disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel he had around him… 14 And since I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash each other’s feet. Jesus set the example we follow.  He served.  He valued and gave value to others.  That is why we choose to serve. For 18 years our church has shared an outreach called back2school, and for 16 of those years we have chosen to give students brand new shoes and socks as well as washing their feet.  It is one of the most important parts of this event. Washing feet is a humbling experience where both the give and the receiver learn how to share some moments that might change their lives.  Jesus said we should do this.  See the verse above.  Follow His example, do what He did, and give far more than you will ever know....