Skip to main content

our bout with covid


 

Psalm 46:10  NLT

“Be still, and know that I am God! I will be honored by every nation. I will be honored throughout the world.”


This last seven days has seemed more than just a week.  Julie and I have been quarantined because we have had covid.  But it is almost over.  


We were visiting our new granddaughter and her parents last week when I started not feeling well.  After that only Julie and myself tested positive.  It is our experience that we have very few and mild symptoms.  That could be because we are vaccinated.  That could be because of other reasons, but for whatever we were sick for only a few days.


What have I learned over the last seven days?  Thanks for asking.


First, the world is still moving around us, but we have had to press pause, take the sideline, or sit still for a little while.  We have to be ready to get back in the swing of it when the time comes.  It didn’t wait for us.  


I will be ready to get back to church this weekend and share the first message for a new year and our new theme of “HE>i” … it is going to be good.


Second, we learned that we are not alone.  Many people told us that they are praying for us.  Some asked to help and served us.  We are pleased and grateful for the people who have been a blessing.  People are one of our greatest resources and best blessings.


Third, it is not fun when we are alone.  The first day I was sick Julie was not sick.  For about 30 hours we had to be separate.  That wasn’t fun.  It fact it really hit both of our emotions pretty hard.  When we found out Julie was positive for covid, it actually was a relief, for both of us.  


Fourth, we have enjoyed the time together.  We have enjoyed quiet time.  We have enjoyed meals and serving each other.  We have have watched TV and movies together (the movies “Greater” and “The Ride” were the best, and the TV show “Life Below Zero” has been our favorite).  I married up.


Fifth, God is still talking.  I have to continue listening in every way possible.  It is good to change your routine.  But stay connected.  I love snow, and we had that on Monday which is a time I think about God and His wonderful creation.


Sixth, I have to keep moving.  A year or more ago a friend gave me a treadmill.  I have used it when it was wet or really cold, but this week the treadmill became an important piece of me still getting miles in.  Walking and running is part of my every day, and I missed it.  The first few days I struggled to get 2 miles.  Yesterday I was back above 5 miles and even did a few of those miles back on the road.


Seventh and last, I have to remember I am human.  I have to remember that I am not above sickness or stress and struggle.  Keep on.  Stay safe.  Be kind to others.  Covid is real.  Many of our friends and acquaintances have had Covid and not Faired well.  Several have died.  Several were in the hospital a long time and still struggling with the leftovers of this sickness.


Hebrews 12:12  NLT

So take a new grip with your tired hands and strengthen your weak knees.


Take the time to learn and plan.  Take the time to rest and be restored.  Get ready for what is ahead.  There you have our week with Covid.  See you this weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Francis Chan's "Forgotten God" (brand new book)

One of the most powerful preachers, writers and leaders of our time, in my opinion, is Francis Chan.  His first book, Crazy Love , revolutionized my thoughts about God's love as well as my interacting with God.  Now it is time for a brand new book from Chan being released tomorrow, September 1st.  The book is Forgotten God .   This is a phenomenal book about the power that Christians and the church can and must tap into.  All of it is within the Holy Spirit.  Francis talks about the power that was seen in the book of Acts when the Holy Spirit began to move among people.  It is true that many have avoided or maybe forgotten what the Holy Spirit is all about.   And like the Savior who poured out His life and blood so we have reason to rejoice, we were made to lay down our lives and give until it hurts.  We are most alive when we are loving and actively giving of ourselves because we were made to do these things.  It is when we live like this that the Spirit of God moves and ac...

inspiration from C.S. Lewis

There are many people, past and present, who get our attention by what they write or say or share.  For me C.S. Lewis is one of those.  He was a prolific writer who continues to grab the attention of thinkers from many different points of view. Lewis first grabbed my attention when I was in 5 th grader, and our teacher, Mrs. Foy, shared The Chronicles of Narnia with our class.  It was a powerful time that this dreamer opened doors to thinking like I had never lived before.  He wrote of faith, of far off places and of strong figures who found their character rooted deep in God. C.S. Lewis was born in 1898 and died in 1963, 7 years before I was born.  It wasn’t until his 30’s that under the influence of his friend Tolkien that he came to be a Christian.  He was raised in a traditional church going home, turned away from God as an Atheist in his teen years and through trying to stay away from God and faith returned to God with...

Catalyst ticket arrived

My ticket to the Catalyst Conference, in Atlanta Oct 8-10, just arrived. I'm excited!