There is a wow factor that gets me. Sometimes it is with something I see as in the colors of fall that are splashed all around this time of the year. It might be the beauty of the ocean when you first see it on a visit. It could be a number of other things as well that just make you think or say wow.
One way God gets my attention is through the Scripture that keeps coming my direction. In the last few weeks I have heard several sermons or illustrations using the following verses. I believe God was speaking. And wow.
Matthew 8:28-34 NLT
When Jesus arrived on the other side of the lake, in the region of the Gadarenes, two men who were possessed by demons met him. They came out of the tombs and were so violent that no one could go through that area. 29 They began screaming at him, “Why are you interfering with us, Son of God? Have you come here to torture us before God’s appointed time?” 30 There happened to be a large herd of pigs feeding in the distance. 31 So the demons begged, “If you cast us out, send us into that herd of pigs.” 32 “All right, go!” Jesus commanded them. So the demons came out of the men and entered the pigs, and the whole herd plunged down the steep hillside into the lake and drowned in the water. 33 The herdsmen fled to the nearby town, telling everyone what happened to the demon-possessed men. 34 Then the entire town came out to meet Jesus, but they begged him to go away and leave them alone.
My point in this e-devotion is that I was saying wow pretty often. It might have been the second or third time that I heard the verses that I stopped and asked what God might be doing.
I know the story, and I am grateful that God cares. Also, our God is powerful enough to deal with an enemy of this sort, demons and more. Then you get to the pigs.
Why cast the demons in pigs? Good question and wow.
Why did the people ask Jesus to leave? Good question and wow.
God doesn’t always work the way we think He ought to. He might change our direction. He might give us wisdom. He might deal with our sin or a situation in our lives. He might remove something.
Take a few minutes to stop at your wow moments and ask God what He is doing. Thank God for what He is doing. Let God give you even more wow moments!
Comments