Fear has all kinds of things that the word and concept brings to mind, but I want to turn our thoughts to the bookends, the polar opposites if you will. Most people say there is an unhealthy and healthy kind of fear. I agree.
But today I remind you that God tells us to conquer our unhealthy fear and feed our healthy fear. Here are a couple thoughts on that…
1 John 4:18 NLT
Such love has no fear, because perfect love expels all fear. If we are afraid, it is for fear of punishment, and this shows that we have not fully experienced his perfect love.
Proverbs 1:7 NLT
Fear of the Lord is the foundation of true knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline.
The first fear keeps us from leaving home or trying new things or from even seeing anything positive. The second fear helps us see God for who He is and to grasp life as an adventure and gift from God.
Kick out the first fear. Kick in and hold on to the second fear.
Fear of the Lord is the healthy fear that builds our respect and love for God. The fear of the fear allows us to take God at His word walking closer and closer to Him.
It is when we are held captive by the other fear that we miss the best and abundance of God. This fear is a hurdle or hinderance to knowing and being changed by the love of God. I want this kind of fear totally gone.
Yet I long for the fear of the Lord that keeps me wanting more and more of God. I push in to that fear by denying myself of temporary gains so that I can have eternal gains and promises. That healthy fear connects us to what will help others experience God.
That is why I challenge you to look to God through the wisdom of Proverbs. 31 chapters in Proverbs and many months have 31 days… read one chapter every day. Then, start over again the next month. It might change your life. It might build the healthy fear in to your life.
How about a couple more examples:
2 Corinthians 7:5 NLT
When we arrived in Macedonia, there was no rest for us. We faced conflict from every direction, with battles on the outside and fear on the inside.
Psalm 34:9 NLT
Fear the Lord, you his godly people, for those who fear him will have all they need.
Paul said that fear gripped those who faced conflict without much faith. God says fearing the Lord brings what we really need. Which fear holds your life?
And more to grow on, as the old saying goes:
2 Timothy 1:7 NLT
For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.
Comments