Skip to main content

cocky & arrogant // Wednesday E-Devotion

Ever have anyone say you are arrogant and cocky? Some people are like that, but some people are just confident. I find in the world of ministry and church that people don't like it when someone seems bold and confident. Know what I think?
Thanks for asking. It is my desire to know where I am going, know why I am going and how I want to get there. In fact, I believe God has given us the ability AND the calling to do just that. Perry Noble related this fact at the conference I attended recently, and it struck a cord in my head and heart.
It is time that Christian leaders to get what God says and lead people in a bold and fresh way. What do you think?
Proverbs 28:1 (nlt) --- The wicked run away when no one is chasing them, but the godly are as bold as lions.
You may be called arrogant. You may even have people get mad and leave you alone. The truth of the matter is God has not called everyone to walk with you every day. In the church God has called us to focus on certain things. Some churches do particular things better than other churches. Our leadership team recently had to make a decision about leaping into a new area. We felt like and agreed that just wasn't for us. What I am saying is that we need to hear from God and obey with boldness and confidence.
The adventures God has for us, the impact we have the potential to make won't be on our radar if we cautiously walking around scared of hurting feelings or stepping on toes. What will happen when we obey God is that we will make a bigger splash, touch more lives and get more done.
Yes, some people will be turned off. But some people will get even more excited about Jesus. Some people will be negative and throw cold water on you and your vision. Don't let them steal form you. But the people that catch the vision will get fired up and do pretty awesome things just because God said be bold and be confident as this is the way I told you to run.
We begin a study tonight on the leadership style of Jonah. I would say that dude was pretty bold. But one of the most confident was Nehemiah. At one point he was being taunted by some pretty powerful people. He was so set on doing what God led him to do that when they asked him just to come talk he said he had too much to do.
Here is the deal ... when you catch the vision, protect it and run after it with boldness and confidence because success is ahead!
Nehemiah 6:16 (nasb) --- When all our enemies heard of it, and all the nations surrounding us saw it, they lost their confidence; for they recognized that this work had been accomplished with the help of our God.
God, help us know when we are standing on self and help us know and be bold when our confidence is totally in you. In Jesus' name, Amen.

Comments

Deneen said…
Wow. I once had someone tell me that I am arrogant and I laughed. Now I have a different perspective on it.

Thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

Francis Chan's "Forgotten God" (brand new book)

One of the most powerful preachers, writers and leaders of our time, in my opinion, is Francis Chan.  His first book, Crazy Love , revolutionized my thoughts about God's love as well as my interacting with God.  Now it is time for a brand new book from Chan being released tomorrow, September 1st.  The book is Forgotten God .   This is a phenomenal book about the power that Christians and the church can and must tap into.  All of it is within the Holy Spirit.  Francis talks about the power that was seen in the book of Acts when the Holy Spirit began to move among people.  It is true that many have avoided or maybe forgotten what the Holy Spirit is all about.   And like the Savior who poured out His life and blood so we have reason to rejoice, we were made to lay down our lives and give until it hurts.  We are most alive when we are loving and actively giving of ourselves because we were made to do these things.  It is when we live like this that the Spirit of God moves and ac...

inspiration from C.S. Lewis

There are many people, past and present, who get our attention by what they write or say or share.  For me C.S. Lewis is one of those.  He was a prolific writer who continues to grab the attention of thinkers from many different points of view. Lewis first grabbed my attention when I was in 5 th grader, and our teacher, Mrs. Foy, shared The Chronicles of Narnia with our class.  It was a powerful time that this dreamer opened doors to thinking like I had never lived before.  He wrote of faith, of far off places and of strong figures who found their character rooted deep in God. C.S. Lewis was born in 1898 and died in 1963, 7 years before I was born.  It wasn’t until his 30’s that under the influence of his friend Tolkien that he came to be a Christian.  He was raised in a traditional church going home, turned away from God as an Atheist in his teen years and through trying to stay away from God and faith returned to God with...

Catalyst ticket arrived

My ticket to the Catalyst Conference, in Atlanta Oct 8-10, just arrived. I'm excited!