Skip to main content

it is well with my soul


Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord, The people whom He has chosen for His own inheritance.

You and I know that our nation is far from a godly nation especially as we have seen horrible tragedies such as what happened in Texas this past Sunday, but we are blessed.  Yesterday in our state many people celebrated our citizenship by voting.  Let me remind each of us that living in the United States is a privilege and a blessing.

I am actually as I write this devotion at the house of my oldest daughter and her husband who is in the US Army.  Last night I received a peaceful and great phone call from a friend whose boss was re-elected to public office.  Both of those things make me proud of live in this nation and remind me that we really are blessed.

Philippians 4:7  NASB
And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Yesterday our men’s Bible study read the lyrics of the following hymn and the story that went along with it…

It Is Well With My Soul by Horatio Spafford

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well with my soul.
It is well with my soul,
It is well, it is well with my soul.
Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ hath regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.
My sin—oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!—
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!...
But, Lord, ’tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,
The sky, not the grave, is our goal;
Oh, trump of the angel! Oh, voice of the Lord!
Blessed hope, blessed rest of my soul!
And Lord, haste the day when the faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.

Maybe you get that or know it.  Spafford had recently lost a young child when his wife and daughters set sail on a ship for Great Britain.  A few days that ship was in an accident that cost Spafford the lives of the rest of his children.  As he sailed across the ocean to be with his wife Horatio Spafford penned the words of this hymn.

What gives you peace?  For me it isn’t my choices, but it is my God.  For me it isn’t where I live or what I get to do, but it is the faith I have that God is in control.

I need that kind of peace.  Truly I am blessed, and the peace of God is one of the biggest blessings I know!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catalyst ticket arrived

My ticket to the Catalyst Conference, in Atlanta Oct 8-10, just arrived. I'm excited!

Have you heard of EDITH BURNS?

Edith Burns was a wonderful Christian who lived in San Antonio, Texas . She was the patient of a doctor by the name of Will Phillips. Dr. Phillips was a gentle doctor who saw patients as people. His favorite patient was Edith Burns.  One morning he went to his office with a heavy heart and it was because of Edith Burns.  When he walked into that waiting room, there sat Edith with her big black Bible in her lap earnestly talking to a young mother sitting beside her.  Edith Burns had a habit of introducing herself in this way: "Hello, my name is Edith Burns.  Do you believe in Easter?" Then she would explain the meaning of Easter, and many times people would be saved.  Dr. Phillips walked into that office and there he saw the head nurse, Beverly. Beverly had first met Edith when she was taking her blood pressure. Edith began by saying,"My name is Edith Burns. Do you believe in Easter?"  Beverly said, "Why yes I do."  Edith said, "Well, what do you ...

wash feet, sharing hope

  John 13:4-5,14 NLT  So he got up from the table, took off his robe, wrapped a towel around his waist, 5 and poured water into a basin. Then he began to wash the disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel he had around him… 14 And since I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash each other’s feet. Jesus set the example we follow.  He served.  He valued and gave value to others.  That is why we choose to serve. For 18 years our church has shared an outreach called back2school, and for 16 of those years we have chosen to give students brand new shoes and socks as well as washing their feet.  It is one of the most important parts of this event. Washing feet is a humbling experience where both the give and the receiver learn how to share some moments that might change their lives.  Jesus said we should do this.  See the verse above.  Follow His example, do what He did, and give far more than you will ever know....