Earlier this week I have opened my heart and mind about the relationship between 2 kings. That would be Saul and David. There is much we can discuss around their lives, their reigns and the kingdoms that God set up for His people.
What gets my attention the most is that both had a connection to God that changed from time to time based on their following His way, for being obedient. Think with me about the choices you would make, or I would make, in times of crisis. This is when we are being lied about or oppressed or simply in high stress situations.
Here is a passage from Psalms where David poured out His heart during a very difficult time. There are pieces of this, verses that heighten my thoughts and the way I might respond when the stress level is high. Read on:
Psalms 56 NLT
O God, have mercy on me,for people are hounding me.My foes attack me all day long… 3 But when I am afraid,I will put my trust in you.4 I praise God for what he has promised.I trust in God, so why should I be afraid? What can mere mortals do to me?5 They are always twisting what I say;they spend their days plotting to harm me…10 I praise God for what he has promised;yes, I praise the Lord for what he has promised.11 I trust in God, so why should I be afraid?What can mere mortals do to me?12 I will fulfill my vows to you, O God,and will offer a sacrifice of thanks for your help.13 For you have rescued me from death;you have kept my feet from slipping.So now I can walk in your presence, O God,in your life-giving light.
“When I am afraid, I will put my trust in God.”
“I trust God, so why should I be afraid?”
“For you have rescued me from death; you have kept my feet from slipping. So now I walk in your presence…”
“…in your life-giving light.”
Powerful words. Big thoughts.
God really is life giving. So, why would we let fear hold us when we have chosen faith? David is an example of this. He wasn’t perfect. He made big mistakes that led to people dying and bad things happening. But David also make decisions that changed the known world, protected God’s people and eventually had his character proven through God saying of David that he was “a man after God’s own heart.”
What stands out to me is that the flawed man David was also the man who fought for God and chose to act in grace and forgiveness when another man was threatening him constantly.
May we be found overflowing with grace and living with forgiveness, forgiving ourselves and forgiving others.

Comments