Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.
Two weeks ago I attended a day conference on geriatric mental health. The room was full and buzzing with incredible people who serve around our region of the world. The speakers were incredibly interesting. I learned a lot.
Honestly, I was amazed at all I learned and how some of the things I thought and have practiced are so far off. This might be one of those times that you should read a little, ask some questions and just see how you are doing on this matter or on others.
What I have to confess is that too often, far too often, I have put mental health issues in a box. That means I look at them the same, give almost identical answers and my thinking has changed very little. This for me is a problem.
When we are not learned or maybe when we stop listening, we must realize that we stop helping. Earlier this week I shared a message about mental health and church asked how we are helping those in need. Many have stopped to think about suicide and its affects on them, their families, the church and our communities.
But we would do well to see how mental health in the aging population around us is so different from the mental health of those who are young. I cannot give you lots of examples. But for a couple, when a person is manic in a younger person this could add a great deal to their energy and make their actions erratic. In an older person this may make them much more depressed or isolated. That’s not a very good example, but there are many more differences. I am learning.
The biggest part that I wanted to share today and encourage us with is to listen to people. Hear their stories. Seek to help. Show compassion. Really care. Don’t pretend or don’t put a person in the same direction you sent someone else that is in need.
When we don’t know what to do, we most often walk away or avoid situations. That action might be the one that leads another person in a very wrong direction. Turning to person, to help and to care, might be the action that sends them to find help and healing.
God loving people and Christ followers, lets do something different. Lets love people who are sometimes tough to love. Lets learn more. Lets really CARE… show you care, act to help, restore people and educate yourself and others (refer to my devotion earlier this week for more details).
Psalm 17:7 NLT
Show me your unfailing love in wonderful ways. By your mighty power you rescue those who seek refuge from their enemies.
If you would like to give to help the ministries of The Community Fellowship and Dream Center, please go to this link https://tcf.ccbchurch.com/goto/giving

Comments