an adoption story


Today’s devotion is an article written by my friend and sports writer Brad Winters (racinginspirations@yahoo.com) from Indiana. I pray you will be blessed as I was from what Brad shares:

Hope you are well: NASCAR'S Michael McDowell: What Matters Most 
by Brad Winters 

At five days old, Lucus, his new name, was abandoned on a street in China. This unwanted child, whose family did not want to be 'shamed' was left to die. The infant, born with cleft hands and feet and missing many of his fingers and toes, was placed in a government run orphanage with little hope for the future. 

Back in the USA, Michael McDowell and his wife, Jami, had spent six years working on adoption processes in countries where children had the greatest needs. Doors seemed to close as soon as their hopes would rise. "We were in the Ethiopian adoption program, which had the greatest need at that time," Michael said, " and then the government shut that down. Then we did all the paperwork and were approved in Honduras and the government ended that program. But we knew that was all God's timing and we knew that God had picked our child." 

Then the call came three years ago about the possibility of adoption in China. Michael and Jami, and their children, Trace, Emma and Rylie, would soon welcome a new brother. A perfect little boy in the eyes of God and the McDowell family. "Someday, when Lucas is old enough, we will explain to him that God picked him, before he was ever conceived, to be in our family," said Michael. "I think it is pretty neat that the story for him is a story of redemption." 

Michael explains that Lucus is thriving. "His disabilities are not limiting at all," Michael said. He started kindergarten this year. He has undergone several surgeries and has therapy sessions and is adapting to his new country and language well. The greatest healing has come from the love of the family and from the grace of God. 

Michael placed 17th in Sunday's Brickyard 400. A strong finish for a team with a small budget. His best finish this year was a fifth place finish in the Daytona 500. The balance of family and career for a race driver is a difficult one that requires sacrifice from all involved. Michael's teammate and close friend at Front Row Motorsports, David Regan, recently announced he is retiring from running a full time schedule and will drive part time citing he wants to spend more time with his family. " I feel this is where God is leading my life, and therefore I'm making this decision, " Regan said. 

Michael feels that he is right where God wants him to be. Drivers with families have the challenge of making a connection with their physical family and their race team family. Race teams require time to get to know each other so they can work together through the ups and downs of a season. It takes commitment. "I love racing," Michael explains. I am really passionate about it. I feel like I am in my sweet spot and I feel like God has me where he wants me. I feel like every year is a gift so I don't take it for granted. I am not at a place where I dread coming to the racetrack. I love coming to the track. I love meeting people. I love competition. It's getting harder. Three of the four kids are in school now. We have a good process. I try to stay tuned in to their activities. My family attends about half the races (where the motorhome is their second home). We make it work. My wife is a 'superwoman' and does so much that allows me to be here and to stay connected with the children through that process." 

Michael used his platform to share his Christian faith whenever time allows. Michael and Jami host Bible studies at their home and Michael is active in Motor Racing Outreach, the ministry team that travels with NASCAR. 

It is ironic, or maybe not, that Michael has been sponsored by Love. Love's Travel Stops has been a sponsor this year and Christian radio station, K-Love, has been a long time sponsor. It seems like love follows this family wherever they go.

Comments