Skip to main content

the importance of family


Honor your father and mother. Then you will live a long, full life in the land the Lord your God is giving you.

It is good to be home.  I am not talking about the structure where I live with my wife and children.  I am talking about the place where my parents and brothers are.  My oldest daughter and I are in Oklahoma to spend time with my family and to celebrate my niece getting married.  I enjoy being here.

About five months ago I began getting text messages and eventually a phone call saying that my mom was on the way to the hospital because she had broken her ankle.  It has been a long road as she has been in a nursing/rehab facility since that happened.  She is finally gaining strength and hopes to be home by the middle of this month.  Thank you for your prayers.

The days and weeks went by.  We talked on the phone and through text messages and Facebook posts, but there was more to it than that.  I missed my parents.  With her pain and struggle the more my heart longed to spend some time with my mom and with my dad.

Yesterday I was able to spend extra time with them.  Dad drove an extra 3 hours to pick us up at the airport in Oklahoma City.  We talked much on the way home.  Last evening we spent several hours with my mom.  It really is good to be home.  I even went to my favorite BBQ place when we got to town (that’s important too).

Though we live 1,100 miles a part and see each us maybe once a year these people still have my heart.  I miss my brothers, Ric and Steve, as well.  I pray for them all by name often.  But there is nothing like being with family.  I am looking forward to time with each of them, my brothers and my parents.

I sat in my mom’s room at The Villages and was overcome with the understanding that I am blessed.  My parents raised us to know God and to know we are loved.  Our home wasn’t perfect, and we may be a bit dysfunctional.  But we know what love looks like and feels like.

One of my favorite signs says “love you more”.  There is one hanging in my mom’s room where she is staying, and there is one over the front door of my parents’ home.  That is something we have said to each other and bantered back and forth with for many years.  I know in this place as in my home in Virginia love is the real deal and must be cultivated and protected in our homes.

I am blessed.  Spending time with my mom I know that I have missed many days of her struggle, but today we got to catch up some, talked about the kids and life.  We got to just spend time together.  Dad and I will do that some more too.  These are days to be treasured.

Oklahoma seems hotter than Virginia at times.  The land is much flatter.  But this is where I grew up (though some would say I haven’t grown up yet).  This is the place where I learned to live and breathe, and this is the place where I learned that I am not alone.  That is important.  I am never alone thanks to God.  Mom and dad taught me that.

That verse I began with is one we quote pretty often.  I even joke about the phrase “live a long, full life” because if you don’t obey they will kill you.  Not really.  What I have come to know is that the people around our lives are important.  Loving is a give and take kind of thing.  You have to give love to those around you.  Also you have to know how to accept love and acceptance from those who love you.

I am blessed.  In the next few days I may share a story or two from my childhood with you.  Consider that a warning.  I will miss my wife and our two youngest children, but I am planning to savor this time with some people who I don’t get to be around very much.

… the family of the godly stands firm.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Francis Chan's "Forgotten God" (brand new book)

One of the most powerful preachers, writers and leaders of our time, in my opinion, is Francis Chan.  His first book, Crazy Love , revolutionized my thoughts about God's love as well as my interacting with God.  Now it is time for a brand new book from Chan being released tomorrow, September 1st.  The book is Forgotten God .   This is a phenomenal book about the power that Christians and the church can and must tap into.  All of it is within the Holy Spirit.  Francis talks about the power that was seen in the book of Acts when the Holy Spirit began to move among people.  It is true that many have avoided or maybe forgotten what the Holy Spirit is all about.   And like the Savior who poured out His life and blood so we have reason to rejoice, we were made to lay down our lives and give until it hurts.  We are most alive when we are loving and actively giving of ourselves because we were made to do these things.  It is when we live like this that the Spirit of God moves and ac...

inspiration from C.S. Lewis

There are many people, past and present, who get our attention by what they write or say or share.  For me C.S. Lewis is one of those.  He was a prolific writer who continues to grab the attention of thinkers from many different points of view. Lewis first grabbed my attention when I was in 5 th grader, and our teacher, Mrs. Foy, shared The Chronicles of Narnia with our class.  It was a powerful time that this dreamer opened doors to thinking like I had never lived before.  He wrote of faith, of far off places and of strong figures who found their character rooted deep in God. C.S. Lewis was born in 1898 and died in 1963, 7 years before I was born.  It wasn’t until his 30’s that under the influence of his friend Tolkien that he came to be a Christian.  He was raised in a traditional church going home, turned away from God as an Atheist in his teen years and through trying to stay away from God and faith returned to God with...

Catalyst ticket arrived

My ticket to the Catalyst Conference, in Atlanta Oct 8-10, just arrived. I'm excited!