Years ago I heard Pastor Tommy Barnett preach. Actually I heard him a few times across a couple years and in different places. What he said hit my heart, stirred my God-given passion and has stuck with me.
Find a need and fill it. Find a hurt and heal it.
Those are two of the statements that Pastor Barnett said that have continued to rattle around in my mind. Around the same time Matthew Barnett, Pastor Tommy’s son, also had a great impact on my life.
Whoever shows up most in someone’s life wins the battle of influence.
All of those seem a little clique, but they hit home with me. The reason why God has given us breath and movement and a heart is so we can do something for others. I challenge you, as I have many times before, to do something. Use what you have. Make a difference in the lives of others.
Philippians 2:4 NASB
do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others.
Titus 3:14 NASB
Our people must also learn to engage in good deeds to meet pressing needs, so that they will not be unfruitful.
There are many needs around us. We see them each and every day, and the choice is ours to do something about these things. Don’t look at the resource or the money or even the process. Look at the people first. God loves people. That is the big deal.
Over the last few weeks I have been involved in several conversations concerning the Winter Warming Center in Martinsville and Henry County. We have come to a crisis where we do not have adequate volunteers or space. What I am saying is we need to do something about the needs around us. If you are in the area and want to help, send me an email (pastormh@gmail.com) or call the church (276-647-8231).
There is something for everyone to do. The choice is yours to use what you have and to serve others!
Galatians 5:13 NLT
For you have been called to live in freedom, my brothers and sisters. But don’t use your freedom to satisfy your sinful nature. Instead, use your freedom to serve one another in love.

Comments