Skip to main content

6 temptations


It has been almost a year since I started getting healthy.  I’ve lost weight as I have started to eat differently and be much more active.  By getting active I have chosen to spend a good deal of time walking and even running.


I say that to say one of my favorite activities in running and walking is to listen to sermons.  I am a preacher that loves sermons and preachers, certain preachers specifically.  You know what I mean.  Plus, I want to soak up more of God’s word.


Yesterday I went on my longest run so far.  While running I listened to David Platt of McLean Bible Church share a message titled All In Good Conscience from 1 Corinthians 10.  He is talking about dealing with common temptations in our walk with Christ.


1 Corinthians 10:13  NLT

The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure.


This message hit me in the heart, and that is why I encourage you to reach that chapter in the Bible, 1 Corinthians 10 (and include 11:1, too).  Here are the six big things Platt shared during the message (these are good!) … read on


We are all tempted to celebrate salvation from God without giving devotion to God.


We are all tempted to turn what is good into a God.


We are all tempted to choose sexual immorality over sexual purity.


We are all tempted to test God instead of trusting God.


We are all tempted to grumble against God instead of being grateful to God.


We are all tempted to exchange communion with God for compromise with the world.


This really is a powerful and strong message that talks about how we often turn things in to idols, things that take the place of God in our lives.  We have to be careful not to give glory to anything but God.


1 Corinthians 10:31  NLT

So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.


And why live a spiritually strong life devoted to God?  There is a purpose.  It is not only for our good but for others.  God is using you and me to help others come to know Him.  


1 Corinthians 10:33  NLT

I, too, try to please everyone in everything I do. I don’t just do what is best for me; I do what is best for others so that many may be saved.


The message ended with a simple thought.  This truth is one that you and I can live out helpful ourselves and others come to know the most important one and to be who that one made us to be.


1 Corinthians 11:1  NLT

And you should imitate me, just as I imitate Christ.


Go listen to this message.  It might bring you back, as it did me, to think about our relationship to God and coming closer in our devotion to God and our communion with Him.


That is good stuff.  Have a great day!


(You can listen to or watch this message at https://mcleanbible.org/sermons/All-In-Good-Conscience/2/ )

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have you heard of EDITH BURNS?

Edith Burns was a wonderful Christian who lived in San Antonio, Texas . She was the patient of a doctor by the name of Will Phillips. Dr. Phillips was a gentle doctor who saw patients as people. His favorite patient was Edith Burns.  One morning he went to his office with a heavy heart and it was because of Edith Burns.  When he walked into that waiting room, there sat Edith with her big black Bible in her lap earnestly talking to a young mother sitting beside her.  Edith Burns had a habit of introducing herself in this way: "Hello, my name is Edith Burns.  Do you believe in Easter?" Then she would explain the meaning of Easter, and many times people would be saved.  Dr. Phillips walked into that office and there he saw the head nurse, Beverly. Beverly had first met Edith when she was taking her blood pressure. Edith began by saying,"My name is Edith Burns. Do you believe in Easter?"  Beverly said, "Why yes I do."  Edith said, "Well, what do you

why is it Good Friday?

  Holy Week is the time we focus on God and His gift of salvation.  We come to Friday.  The day we remember the cross, Jesus’ death and all God has done for you and me   Why do they call this day “Good Friday” because it doesn’t seems good?   Jesus was treated as a criminal.  He was beaten so much that He could not recognize Him.  His pain would have been too much for you or me to endure.  That is especially from Scripture I’ve read or as in the movie the  Passion of the Christ .   Yet it is a good day.  It is Good Friday because God had our good in His heart.  What Jesus did that day changed our forever direction. Here are some thoughts that come to me:   He is Redemption and Redeemer   He too our Pain and Punishment   He is our Righteousness and Reality   He is the Savior and Life   All of those happened from the cross.  It was meant for the worst lawbreakers.  It was not meant for a Savior who never broke a law.  It was lifted high so that onlookers could see the price Jesus.   Look

happy Thanksgiving

thursday e-devotion From my family to yours. From The Community Fellowship church family to you. Happy Thanksgiving!!!! 1 Chronicles 16:8 (NLT) Give thanks to the Lord and proclaim his greatness. Let the whole world know what he has done.