Skip to main content

what gives life


Proverbs 8:35  NLT

For whoever finds me finds life and receives favor from the Lord.


There are many things that give life.  I am not talking about what makes your heart pump or your blood to flow.  What I am talking about are the things that enrich your life, make you want to live and maybe what gives you joy.


I can make a long list of things that make this a reality.  But let me get right down to just a few things that add life to my life.


First is my relationship with Jesus.  As I said yesterday “He is enough for me”.  He did what I couldn’t do and loves me more than I really understand.  He gives me strength and love and comfort and much more.  It comes through connection to other people, but more than that is what I get from my personal time with Him.


Second would be my family.  As I shared with our church on Sunday my sabbatical was really about time with family.  Each of our church, my wife, my dad and a few others made those weeks important and so grand and full.  I am grateful for that time.  We made memories and more.


Third I will point you to some people that pour in to my life.  This would be friends, co-workers, people who believe in me and often are caught making my life better.  I could not enjoy my days without these special people.  Some are related to me, but most of them are related only through the fact that God is part of their life and mine.  I need these connections.


Fourth are some things that I have added recently that are making a difference in my life.  I am enjoying losing weight and getting healthy.  I have lost more than 75 pounds and no longer have diabetes.  Still a long way to do, but I feel better and a big part of that is running and staying very active.  Julie and I added something called Juice-Plus to our diet (ask me about it to learn more) which supplements our diet and is helping us be healthier and stronger.  Another is a simple choice to eat better.  I still love sweets and breads and things not good for me, but I have chosen to limit those to not very often.  Good choices, and I believe God has led me to each.


I close with something close to my heart this week.  It really does give me life.  In 2019 I spent more than five weeks in Cuba.  I served and learned a lot.  I connected to many people serving others through Fellowship of Christian Athletes and local churches.  It has been an honor to serve them and with each of them.  But this week has been difficult for my Cuban friends and partners.  I stand with each of them begging God for freedom, peace and health over each and their families.  This is  sad time.  Again, I can not wait to return and to share life with these sweet people.


There are many things that give life.  What have you found that gives you life and favor from God?  Be specific.  Thank God.  Pursue what makes you and others better.  Most of all, turn to God!  He gives life!


Psalm 42:8  NLT

But each day the Lord pours his unfailing love upon me, and through each night I sing his songs, praying to God who gives me life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have you heard of EDITH BURNS?

Edith Burns was a wonderful Christian who lived in San Antonio, Texas . She was the patient of a doctor by the name of Will Phillips. Dr. Phillips was a gentle doctor who saw patients as people. His favorite patient was Edith Burns.  One morning he went to his office with a heavy heart and it was because of Edith Burns.  When he walked into that waiting room, there sat Edith with her big black Bible in her lap earnestly talking to a young mother sitting beside her.  Edith Burns had a habit of introducing herself in this way: "Hello, my name is Edith Burns.  Do you believe in Easter?" Then she would explain the meaning of Easter, and many times people would be saved.  Dr. Phillips walked into that office and there he saw the head nurse, Beverly. Beverly had first met Edith when she was taking her blood pressure. Edith began by saying,"My name is Edith Burns. Do you believe in Easter?"  Beverly said, "Why yes I do."  Edith said, "Well, what do you

why is it Good Friday?

  Holy Week is the time we focus on God and His gift of salvation.  We come to Friday.  The day we remember the cross, Jesus’ death and all God has done for you and me   Why do they call this day “Good Friday” because it doesn’t seems good?   Jesus was treated as a criminal.  He was beaten so much that He could not recognize Him.  His pain would have been too much for you or me to endure.  That is especially from Scripture I’ve read or as in the movie the  Passion of the Christ .   Yet it is a good day.  It is Good Friday because God had our good in His heart.  What Jesus did that day changed our forever direction. Here are some thoughts that come to me:   He is Redemption and Redeemer   He too our Pain and Punishment   He is our Righteousness and Reality   He is the Savior and Life   All of those happened from the cross.  It was meant for the worst lawbreakers.  It was not meant for a Savior who never broke a law.  It was lifted high so that onlookers could see the price Jesus.   Look

happy Thanksgiving

thursday e-devotion From my family to yours. From The Community Fellowship church family to you. Happy Thanksgiving!!!! 1 Chronicles 16:8 (NLT) Give thanks to the Lord and proclaim his greatness. Let the whole world know what he has done.