Skip to main content

an honest conversation


There are times you just have to stop and have a talk.  This is true in ever relationship.  You will not have a great marriage unless there conversations, heart to heart ones, in the easy and the difficult times.  They aren’t always easy to have, but these talks are important.

 

Between spouses.  Between parents and children.  Between bosses and employees.  Between me and God. 

 

The ones between God and one of His kids happened often in the Bible.  Below is part of a conversation between God and David.  As you read through this conversation note the results David comes to.

 

Psalm 51 NLT

Have mercy on me, O God, because of your unfailing love.
Because of your great compassion, blot out the stain of my sins. 2 Wash me clean from my guilt.  Purify me from my sin. 3 For I recognize my rebellion; it haunts me day and night. 4 Against you, and you alone, have I sinned; I have done what is evil in your sight. You will be proved right in what you say, and your judgment against me is just…7 Purify me from my sins, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow…10 Create in me a clean heart, O God.  Renew a loyal spirit within me. 11 Do not banish me from your presence, and don’t take your Holy Spirit from me. 12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and make me willing to obey you. 13 Then I will teach your ways to rebels, and they will return to you… 16 You do not desire a sacrifice, or I would offer one.  You do not want a burnt offering. 17 The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit.  You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God…

 

My Father has great compassion

 

Getting to know God means we will come to know His compassion and his love.  Compassion is something that makes every relationship stronger.

 

Purify me from my sin

 

Acknowledge your sin.  Confess it.  Turn from it and move toward God.

 

Sin separates us from God

 

We will confess our sin only when we understand that sin keeps us from seeing and following God.  Separation is what puts up a wall between us and God, hampers conversation, and doesn’t allow you to get as close as you can be. 

 

A clean heart comes from God and is important

 

We can try to clean our own hearts, but it is futile without God doing the cleaning.  The closer we get to God the more He cleans us making us more like Jesus.

 

Joy is an option and comes with salvation

 

Joy makes life so much better, but we have to realize that joy comes from contentment with who God has made us to be.  Joy is possible because God completes us as we allow Him to work in our lives, to forgive our sin and to clean our hearts.

 

The sacrifice God desire is a broken spirit, or humble heart turned to God

 

A broken spirit is a good thing.  It is a heart that is humble and pointed toward God.  It has been touched by and even molded by God.  The heart that can be molded best is one that has been cleaned of sin and filled with His joy and strength.

 

Each of these came out of a conversation with God that changed the person talking and listening to the one who matters.  We need to have talks with God every day.  It will make us more like Jesus.


NOTE: This was first shared in April of 2014 and remains true today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have you heard of EDITH BURNS?

Edith Burns was a wonderful Christian who lived in San Antonio, Texas . She was the patient of a doctor by the name of Will Phillips. Dr. Phillips was a gentle doctor who saw patients as people. His favorite patient was Edith Burns.  One morning he went to his office with a heavy heart and it was because of Edith Burns.  When he walked into that waiting room, there sat Edith with her big black Bible in her lap earnestly talking to a young mother sitting beside her.  Edith Burns had a habit of introducing herself in this way: "Hello, my name is Edith Burns.  Do you believe in Easter?" Then she would explain the meaning of Easter, and many times people would be saved.  Dr. Phillips walked into that office and there he saw the head nurse, Beverly. Beverly had first met Edith when she was taking her blood pressure. Edith began by saying,"My name is Edith Burns. Do you believe in Easter?"  Beverly said, "Why yes I do."  Edith said, "Well, what do you

why is it Good Friday?

  Holy Week is the time we focus on God and His gift of salvation.  We come to Friday.  The day we remember the cross, Jesus’ death and all God has done for you and me   Why do they call this day “Good Friday” because it doesn’t seems good?   Jesus was treated as a criminal.  He was beaten so much that He could not recognize Him.  His pain would have been too much for you or me to endure.  That is especially from Scripture I’ve read or as in the movie the  Passion of the Christ .   Yet it is a good day.  It is Good Friday because God had our good in His heart.  What Jesus did that day changed our forever direction. Here are some thoughts that come to me:   He is Redemption and Redeemer   He too our Pain and Punishment   He is our Righteousness and Reality   He is the Savior and Life   All of those happened from the cross.  It was meant for the worst lawbreakers.  It was not meant for a Savior who never broke a law.  It was lifted high so that onlookers could see the price Jesus.   Look

happy Thanksgiving

thursday e-devotion From my family to yours. From The Community Fellowship church family to you. Happy Thanksgiving!!!! 1 Chronicles 16:8 (NLT) Give thanks to the Lord and proclaim his greatness. Let the whole world know what he has done.