Skip to main content

my commitment to stay legit


Man I wanna tell y'all something man

Man I'm not gonna let these material things get in my way y'all

I'm trying to get somewhere

I'm trying to get somewhere that's real and pure and true and eternal…


Father God, I am clay in your hands

Help me to stay that way through all life's demands

'Cause they chip and they nag and they pull at me

And every little thing I make up my mind to be

Like I'm gonna be a daddy who's in the mix

And I'm gonna be a husband who stays legit

And I pray that I'm an artist who rises above

The road that is wide and filled with self-love

Everything that I see draws me

Though it's only in You that I can truly see

That its a feast for the eyes - a low blow to purpose

And I'm a little kid at a three ring circus


I don't want to gain the whole world and lose my soul… 


Those are the words from Toby Mac’s song Lose My Soul, and they are powerful especially for those of us in place of influence in our homes.


“I’m gonna be a daddy who’s in the mix”


“I’m gonna be a husband that stays legit”


Toby talks about rising above the things in this world that take my soul.  Those are the things that distract us from being who God called us to be.  It is what makes us selfish instead of acting selfless.  It is what makes us seek pleasure rather than purpose.


And I ditto Toby’s words.  Especially as a new grand father, I want to be one who stays in and sticks it out.  As Julie’s husband I desire to stay in the marriage, making it good and right and strong.


Those are decisions that have to be made.  The world and all its influences are guiding us in directions that don’t lead to helping others but only hurting them.  This is a decision I have to make.  I challenge you to do the same.


Ephesians 6:4  NLT

Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger by the way you treat them. Rather, bring them up with the discipline and instruction that comes from the Lord.



I am grateful for the influences in my life.  I am grateful that God never gave up on me and won’t.


But the choice is mine to be a dad or granddad that does what is best for the children.  It is my choice to be the best and godly husband that my wife and family deserve.


How does the song say we can “lose our soul”?  It is not about our going to hell.  It is about our influencing others to go to heaven, to have a great life and to come to know God.  Our influence can do those things.


Be positive.  Seek God.  Life for the Lord and lets help our children, our wives or husbands, our neighbors and friends see that God is able and God is love.  There are people around us who need us to stay in the mix and to stay legit as we rise above the things of this world.


Philippians 4:8-9  NLT

And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. 9 Keep putting into practice all you learned and received from me—everything you heard from me and saw me doing. Then the God of peace will be with you.


I close with a story … One morning I dropped my vehicle off to get service.  This is before Covid.  I walked across the street to McDonalds to get breakfast.  The place was packed.  There was a seat next to this group of older ladies who were chatting and enjoying their breakfast.  


As they talked I continued eating my breakfast and listening to some of their conversation.  It was sweet.  Family.  Life.  Church.  You know they were smiling and enjoying each other.


Then they started talking about a new song from Toby Mac.  I love me some Toby Mac.  I heard them share some of the lyrics and again more smiles and comments.


I butted in and asked a question or two.  One of the ladies said did I know the lady sitting across from me.  I answered that I didn’t.  She introduced me to Betty.  And by the way, Betty is Toby Mac’s mother, and she lives here in our town.


Oh the conversation continued.  I connected with Betty that day.  We follow each other on Facebook and even send a text from time to time.  She lit up about her son and his family.


It was sweet and amazing all at the same time.  It really gives that song, Lose Your Soul, a little more life for me and even some strength.  You might even know that Toby had an older son that died suddenly, and the struggle that has come with that.


I am struck by the dad and husband in this song.  I want to be that guy.  I want to be the guy that stays strong at home and who leads well.  I don’t want to lose my soul or the soul of my family to the ways of this world.


That is my commitment.  I will rise above, stay in the mix and stay legit!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have you heard of EDITH BURNS?

Edith Burns was a wonderful Christian who lived in San Antonio, Texas . She was the patient of a doctor by the name of Will Phillips. Dr. Phillips was a gentle doctor who saw patients as people. His favorite patient was Edith Burns.  One morning he went to his office with a heavy heart and it was because of Edith Burns.  When he walked into that waiting room, there sat Edith with her big black Bible in her lap earnestly talking to a young mother sitting beside her.  Edith Burns had a habit of introducing herself in this way: "Hello, my name is Edith Burns.  Do you believe in Easter?" Then she would explain the meaning of Easter, and many times people would be saved.  Dr. Phillips walked into that office and there he saw the head nurse, Beverly. Beverly had first met Edith when she was taking her blood pressure. Edith began by saying,"My name is Edith Burns. Do you believe in Easter?"  Beverly said, "Why yes I do."  Edith said, "Well, what do you

why is it Good Friday?

  Holy Week is the time we focus on God and His gift of salvation.  We come to Friday.  The day we remember the cross, Jesus’ death and all God has done for you and me   Why do they call this day “Good Friday” because it doesn’t seems good?   Jesus was treated as a criminal.  He was beaten so much that He could not recognize Him.  His pain would have been too much for you or me to endure.  That is especially from Scripture I’ve read or as in the movie the  Passion of the Christ .   Yet it is a good day.  It is Good Friday because God had our good in His heart.  What Jesus did that day changed our forever direction. Here are some thoughts that come to me:   He is Redemption and Redeemer   He too our Pain and Punishment   He is our Righteousness and Reality   He is the Savior and Life   All of those happened from the cross.  It was meant for the worst lawbreakers.  It was not meant for a Savior who never broke a law.  It was lifted high so that onlookers could see the price Jesus.   Look

happy Thanksgiving

thursday e-devotion From my family to yours. From The Community Fellowship church family to you. Happy Thanksgiving!!!! 1 Chronicles 16:8 (NLT) Give thanks to the Lord and proclaim his greatness. Let the whole world know what he has done.