I learn a lot from the people that God sends my way. Through the years I can point you to all different kinds of people. Some have been older. Some have been young. Some of them had great means in this world. Some of them had very little as far as the world counts.
What I do know is that God is working in each of these relationships. Watch and let God work. Listen and don’t miss all that He is doing.
Philippians 2:13 NLT
For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him.
Some times He is working in us. Some times He is working around us. But always He is working. Take that reality letting it soak in and change your life, your thinking, directing your actions and even softening your heart toward God.
That is why I take some time to tell you about my friend Fred Harrington. Today is his funeral, and my mind and heart are overflowing with all that Fred has taught me about life and about God.
When I first met Fred, he was making decisions that were less than best. I knew nothing of his early years or his family. At least I didn’t think I did, but his wife had been a friend for a few years. It was obvious that his choices and using people was the norm. Our paths crossed a few times, and we helped him. I had enough and stopped helping.
Then one Sunday Fred showed up at our church with the men of our transitional houses. He had moved in. I was shocked, but what shocked me even more was the change taking place in Fred’s life in the coming weeks and now in the years since.
This man was changed. He had made a commitment to God, living by faith and making far different decisions than he had before.
2 Corinthians 5:17 NLT
This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!
That is the verse that stands out when I think of Fred. Even when living in the world, Fred was kind to those in need. But after turning things around Fred served and serves much the people around him and the people that came to our church for help.
Fred talked about his faith. He loved his family. He regretted the poor decisions that burned the bridges between his children, his ex wife and the life that had been washed away. He prayed for restoration, and that was happening but slowly. This man was changed. He showed in the way he loved and served. He was a leader among the men around our church. Even when he has been suffering with his kidney trouble or leg problems, Fred stood strong and spoke up.
I am grateful that Fred served. I am grateful that Fred called me his pastor and friend. He taught me about second chances, how to deal with regret and how to start over even in your late 60’s. There is so much more I can share, but what I really do know is that Fred gave us so much more than we have given him. Our lives are richer and better and stronger because of God putting us together.
Here is a video about ministry that our church is part of, and Fred is in the middle of it, http://vimeo.com/413379625
My calling and that of our church is to serve and show others the love of God. May we be found doing that and doing it often!
Proverbs 31:8-9 NLT
Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves; ensure justice for those being crushed. 9 Yes, speak up for the poor and helpless, and see that they get justice.
Comments